    replacement and is it easy to do?

    Any recommendations for a quiet fan or fan and heatsink suitable for
    the 1GHz P3 processor?

    Roger G, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Roger G

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Roger G" said in news::
    I couldn't find a replacement fan. The shroud around the heatsink that is molded for the fan is rather unique and it's not like you can get a 40mm fan to pop in. I ended up getting the ThermalTake Golden Orb (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/orb/A1043.htm); really easy to install, comes with thermal paste, cool looking. Mine was a Pentium3 Slot1 800MHz. The fan was a little louder than the stock fan, or maybe I was just sensitized or more focused on listening to it since I just did the repair.

    Putting on the Golden Orb heatsink and fan was easy. The stock shroud on the P3 is easy to take off since you can just flex the plastic shell to release the fingers off the heatsink. There is a trick to getting off the heatsink off the processor. Find a screw (maybe a case screw will work) that is just a wee bit larger than the hole through which the retainer brackets were pushed. The fingers on these brackets are ribbed but stiff so trying to pull them out will probably break them (so you cannot reuse them) and maybe leave the holes plugged that the replacement heatsink needs to use. The backside plate is plastic so you end up forcing the slightly oversized machine screw into the hole which taps itself in and then you just continue turning down the screw to tighten it into the hole to ease the ribbed bracket finger out of the hole. Then unscrew the screw. The other trick that I've heard of is using an undersized screw that will slide into the hole, put it on a rugged table top or breadboard on a table with its threaded part sticking up, and pushing down on the processor with the screw pushing up into the hole to push out the ribbed bracket finger. I have a huge assortment of screws so I preferred finding one that would just barely tap into the hole so I could ease out the bracket without having to put lots of pressure pushing on it.

    The Golden Orb is really easy to install taking all of about 5 seconds. Even if you orient it the wrong way (sliding it down instead of up), it will snap off so you can change it. The Golden Orb is heavier so make sure you are using the hold-down brackets attached to the motherboard to keep the processor in its slot. If, like me, you never got the correct Slot2 brackets, just run long wire ties through the holes in the existing hold-down brackets and over the top of the Pentium3 to keep it locked into its slot. There are other choices for P3 heatsink and fan kits but most are really ugly, have 2 fans which is noisier, and don't attach nearly as quick and easy as the Thermaltake Golden Orb.

    Rather than use a replacement other-brand heatsink and fan, like the Thermaltake Golden Orb, you could buy a cheapie P3 at ebay and use that shroud with fan. You then wouldn't even have to take off the heatsink; just snap off the old shroud and snap on the new one.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Roger G

    GlassVial Guest

    I have a BH-6 based system with a 1GHz Slot-1 Intel P3 processor using
    I agree with Vanguard to the point that the Golden Orb is about the
    only thing still available for this old setup (at least that I could
    find also). The problem with the Orb fans is they tend to be whiny
    (IMO) so if you think your fan is getting louder you may want to try
    re-oiling it first and see if that helps.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Roger G

    Roger G Guest

    Thanks for your reply and detailed instructions. I tried removing the
    shroud without using a lot of force, and I couldn't get it off. I
    stopped trying because I decided to follow GlassVial's suggestion to
    oil the fan, and the fan noise is acceptable now. If it gets noisy
    again I'll follow your instructions using more force. I appreciate
    your taking the time to share your experience.

    Roger G, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Roger G

    Roger G Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I followed your suggestion and oiled the fan,
    and the noise was reduced to an acceptable level. I'll run my system
    as is for a while and see if the fan gets noisy again, but so far it's
    fine.

    Roger G, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Roger G

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Roger G" said in news::
    The shroud w/fan simply has some edged fingers that snap onto the heatsink. I found by squeezing the shroud that it would flex out the finger enough for me to pry them off. Otherwise, use a flat blade screwdriver to pry out the fingers. My P3 was actually a Slot2 cartridge (and why its tangs didn't fit in the holes in the mobo brackters for the cartridge so I just used wire ties).

    I had tried oiling mine, too, but that didn't last too long in quieting the fan. In under a month, it was noisy again and I wasn't going to keep oiling it. Hope it lasts longer for you.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 2, 2004