noisy Northbridge 8363A fan on GA-7ZXR r3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by R S Prigan, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. R S Prigan

    R S Prigan Guest

    Lately I've noticed a noisy Northbridge 8363A fan on GA-7ZXR r3

    For a long time it might make a little noise on first boot, then quiet. Now
    it seems almost reversed. It doesn't seem to slow the fan down. It seems
    that the root cause it a little play in the shaft.

    I'm wondering if I should try to remove and lubricate it? with oil? or dry
    lubricant?

    Alternatively, perhaps I should look for a replacement? Any sources? I
    wonder if the local Microcenter would have? It does not seem to be specific
    to Gigabyte.

    Looking for a little info, I find why the fan is (marginally) necessary on
    KT133a. I run it at 133, but I do run cas3 mem - so it looks as if there's
    no need to panic, ... yet. ?!

    Any experiences with this, or answers to above?

    TIA

    RSP

    ------------------
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1405

    Looking at the KT7A-RAID, it?s just what we expected. It looks pretty much
    the same as the old KT7-RAID, with some minor changes in the choice of
    components. One special thing about the ABIT KT7 series was the HSF
    (heatsink/fan) unit on the VT8363 North Bridge. Recall from our experience
    during the KT133 era, most manufacturers just put heatsinks on the 8363
    North Bridge, while ABIT was the only manufacturer that put a complete HSF
    unit on the North Bridge. We have discussed before that with KT133 chipset
    neither the heat sink nor the fan is necessary for the North Bridge, even
    though the chip gets relatively hot during heavy usage. It turns out that
    with the new KT133A North Bridge, the situation gets quite interesting, but
    we?ll save that discussion for later on in the review.
    Assuming in general the VIA 8363A North Bridge is really capable of
    running FSB speeds of 150MHz or even higher, that immediately poses a
    potential problem. In our KT133 coverage, we have already discussed
    that the VIA 8363 North Bridge got relatively hot during testing. But
    it was not hot enough to require a heat sink, so the HSF unit on the
    KT7-RAID was more or less overkill. But at that time, the North Bridge
    was running at a max of 110MHz, whereas now the FSB speed could push
    150MHz, which is about 36% faster. That would generate considerable
    amounts of heat at the North Bridge, and possibly affect its operation.

    As an experiment, we decided to take away the HSF unit on the VIA 8363A
    North Bridge to see if we can still achieve the same kind of FSB speed. To
    our surprise when we tried to set the FSB speed to 147MHz with no HSF on
    the North Bridge, the system did not even POST. That proves our thought
    that the North Bridge can?t sustain the heat generated. Now the question
    is how much it is affected? We repeated our FSB tests and we found out
    that 137MHz was the maximum FSB speed we could achieve without any HSF unit
    on the North Bridge.

    Several things can be inferred from all this. For starters, the North
    Bridge is really dissipating quite a bit of heat. Thus, a heat sink on the
    North Bridge seems to be mandatory for the KT133A chipset. With that in
    mind, the addition of a fan on the KT7A-RAID?s North Bridge doesn?t seem to
    be overkill anymore. In fact, it helps ensure that the heat generated by
    the North Bridge would not be a limiting factor for FSB overclocking.

    R S Prigan, Sep 28, 2003