    My system is not overclocked.

    Thanks,

    Damian

    Damo, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Damo

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Thermaltake Tiger.

    When mine went, I didn't think there was any point replacing it with and
    identical unit that's also noisy and probably going to pack up in
    another 4 months.

    The tiger is pretty quiet as it is, but I've got it on one channel of a
    fan controller and its absolutely silent now. (In fact, the CPU fan is
    so close, I'm sure it would cool adequately even without the northbridge
    fan running)
    About a tenner.

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Damo

    Apollo Guest

    You're probably in luck, I recently emailed abit-uk about a failed nb fan on
    my 3 month old NF7-S. They responded the next day, asked for me to send a
    covering letter stating the serial no. and mobo details and a A5 jiffy with
    a couple of stamps on it. I had the new fan within a couple of days - kudos
    to abit support on this one.

    The only thing that worried me was that the replacement was identical to the
    3 month old failed fan. I haven't fitted it as I was going water-cooled
    anyway, I wanted the replacement on the odd chance I'd sell the mobo in the
    future.

    Replacement is quite staight forward but requires the system to be stripped
    and the mobo removed from the case.

    email them from here; mailto:

    HTH

    Apollo, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Damo

    David Besack Guest

    Got a 4 month IS7 motherbord. Recently switching on for the first time in
    I replaced the NB fan on my NF7-S with a Zalman NB heatsink. Zero noise.
    The catch is you should make sure you have good case airflow. Also, I'm 99%
    sure you'll void the warranty this way, if that matters to you.

    But the thing is great - it barely gets warm even when the system has been
    running a while.

    David Besack, Jun 24, 2004
  5. If you overclock put a Zalman heatsink on the Northbridge and
    SouthBridge, and maybe a 120mm fan above each one :)

    Scott Backular, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Damo

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Yes, but this is for an IS7 not an NF7.
    Does it fit on this board??

    I'm not saying it doesn't, but I couldn't find out for sure (and it
    didn't look as if the clips on the MB were the right sort) which is why
    I went for the tiger which DOES fit.

    Gareth Jones, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Ahhh crap. I've emailed them but did'nt want to have to dismantle the setup!

    If I get chance I'll have a "fiddle" with it.

    Cheers guys

    Damo, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Damo

    Gareth Jones Guest

    BTW - you DONT have to take the motherboard out with the tiger.
    You just unclip the existing fan, and clip in the new one!
    They are soldered in mounting loops (that's why I wasn't convinced the
    Zalman was going to work in the first place)

    (Oh,.... I seem to recall that its easier to get the MB up to temp first
    then the thermal adhesive pad thingie comes off!)

    Gareth Jones, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Damo

    Diskhead Guest

    Funny that, I emailed them about the same issue and never got a
    response. This was the U.S. tech support section. My next email to
    them will not be so pleasant.

    Diskhead, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Damo

    Fishface Guest

    It should be noted that the Zalman NB heatsinks do not make
    contact with the full surface of the chip, kinda bogus, IMO.
    Barely gets warm? Perhaps it is not making good contact.
    Those NF2 Northbridge chips are generally very concave.
    My NF7-S came with a big wad of heat sink compound,
    and there is no way it was making good contact. I had to
    turn down my FSB until I can screw around with it some more.

    Fishface, Jun 25, 2004
  11. The just sand em flat then ??? whats the problem, Lappingi think they
    call it, i have had no probs with my stock standard no lapping ?

    Scott Backular, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Damo

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Sand what flat? The NB chip?

    Gareth Jones, Jun 25, 2004
  13. The chip is curved ??? did not know that thought somone said the
    heatsink is curved you can fix that :)

    But the chip HMM a hammer ?

    Scott Backular, Jun 25, 2004
  14. Damo

    Fishface Guest

    No, the "not making contact" refers to the bottom surface of the heatsink
    Although the heatsink is square, it is machined away on both sides to
    accept the hold-down mechanism.
    http://www.zalmanusa.com/upload/product/zm_nb47j_b_p.jpg

    I did sand the Northbridge on my Shuttle AN35-N and let me tell
    you, it was no picnic. The heatsink sure gets hot now, but it didn't
    allow me to overclock more...

    Fishface, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Damo

    h2so4 Guest

    Perhaps you may have done a little better by optimising your life style.
    Just a thought.

    h2so4, Jun 27, 2004
  16. Damo

    0_Qed Guest

    Ouch!!
    But ROTFLMFAO !!

    Even our illustrious, 'seated' "VP" has more couth than that !!

    :)
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Damo

    Fishface Guest

    Since it getting hotter, the NB is running cooler. That was the
    objective of the exercise. It still runs 200 x 11 at low decibels.

    About my life style? What is that, anyway-- I don't even know if
    I have one.

    Fishface, Jun 27, 2004