    Thanks for any help. I am flying to Europe tomorrow and I am
    desperate especially since I thought I had resolved all issues before
    departing. Many thanks.

    paris2venice, Jul 27, 2008

  2. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Well, I just tested Word 2008 and was able to save without a problem.
    So now I can't determine quite what she's referring to. Google
    certainly has references to Compatibility Mode and Leopard but there's
    not enough information for me to analyze this further.

    paris2venice, Jul 28, 2008

  3. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Now I have more information. She says that the problem only exists
    when she tries to save to her external disk. She further states that
    it does not happen when using a iMac G5 running 10.4. Anybody have an
    idea what this could be? Although I'm flying to London today, I did
    suggest that she watch this thread if anyone can contribute anything.
    Thanks a bunch and, um ... ciao!

    paris2venice, Jul 28, 2008
  4. paris2venice

    Dave Seaman Guest

    Probably she needs to do a "Get Info" on the external disk and check the
    box marked "Ignore permissions on this disk".

    Dave Seaman, Jul 28, 2008
  5. paris2venice

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    She is, I take it, running 10.5.x, and Office 2008? What format is the disk?
    HFS+? FAT? FAT32? NTFS? If NTFS, what write-to-NTFS utility is she using? The
    free one or the one from Paragon? Are the files being saved as .DOC or .DOCX?
    (At a guess, if Word's blathering about 'Compatibility Mode' it's probably
    ..DOC, but stranger things have happened and we _are_ talking Mickeysoft
    here.) What happens if she tries to save in .RTF?
    Okay, that means it's an Intel thing.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jul 28, 2008
  6. paris2venice

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Not necessarily. Her UID/GID on that Mac
    might have permission to write to the disk.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    People would have more leisure time if it weren't
    for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
    -- Peg Bracken

    Wes Groleau, Jul 29, 2008