Non-CUPS Printer Drivers on OS X

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Andy, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Greetings:

    Summary of problem:
    I purchased a Cannon MP150 because it said it supported Mac OSX. The
    driver installation works fine, but I realize it's not a GIMP/CUPS
    printer module, rather it's proprietary. So . . . here's my question:

    How can I print to this thing remotely such as using a printer server?
    In this case, it's a Linksys wireless print server. I dug around on
    the Windoze installation and discovered that it's simply a BSD type
    LPD, so it's nothing magic. I know I can choose any of the listed GIMP
    printers and make it talk to an LPD anywhere (because I'm faimliar with
    the inner workings of CUPS). However, this printer driver seems to be
    a binary that intercepts Apple's printing software and redirects the
    output only to a USB device (and not anywhere else). I did notice,
    however, that Cannon's installation program greated a PPD file in
    /etc/cups/ppd.

    Anyone know of a hack where I can make use of this for remote printing?

    Andy, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Have you checked the Canon web site to see if they have an up-to-date driver?

    -jcr

    John C. Randolph, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Andy

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You don't.
    Canon seems to have gone out of their way to make sure that this printer
    connects only by USB.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Andy

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Why? OS X has printer sharing capabilities, fixed IP and domain name
    could be fine but there are Dynamic DNS whatever called services and
    thanks to BSD layer, they all have sort of utilities.

    I think as printer is not postscript, a driver installation on the
    client could be neccesary.

    Of course should be done very carefully as you share a resource.

    BTW on Netbarrier X4 I see my UDP "IPP", "Internet Printing protocol"
    is already enabled and idling, not accepting anything of course!

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Andy

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You would be correct, _if the printer driver was properly CUPS-compliant_.
    It is not. Or, at least, based on past experience, I suspect strongly that it
    is not. Past experience also suggests that setting that printer to be shared
    simply will not work
    Actually it's much easier to share PostScript printers than non-PS printers.
    For one thing, even if the vendor fails to supply CUPS-compliant drivers, 3rd
    parties such as GIMP Print and the people at HPIJS usually will. Neither site
    supports the MP150.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 23, 2006