    help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Aug 22, 2005

  2. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Bob Levine Guest

    Any 2.5" drive should be just fine. It's really not all that much
    different than a desktop. If you buy direct from Dell, they'll send it
    to you already mounted and ready to put into the laptop.

    If you buy it elsewhere, you'll save quite a bit of money, but you'll
    need to mount the drive yourself. If you're handy with a screwdriver it
    shouldn't take more than 5 minute.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Aug 22, 2005

  3. reply to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell only (where it was read)...

    2.5" notebook hard drives are very inexpensive at newegg.com. the 5400rpm
    and 7200rpm will certainly provide a performance boost over that of the
    factory 4200rpm type. you will have to remove the existing drive cage from
    the computer, and then the drive from the cage and then install the new
    drive in reverse. this is not hard to do but it means having to then
    completely reload your operating system, drivers, application software, and
    restore your data. if you have a desktop then you can purchase a couple of
    2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters and connect the drives to the desktop
    temporarily so that you can close your current laptop drive to the new blank
    one... but that may prove to be too complicated and exercise than just
    reloading the software on the new drive from scratch.

    this should get you started...
    power down the machine, remove the ac adapter, remove the battery, hold the
    power button for ten seconds to discharge any residual power... and then to
    remove the hard drive...
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/sm/hdd.htm#1084976
    or download the complete manual...
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/en/F7573a01.pdf

    Christopher Muto, Aug 22, 2005
  4. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Brian K Guest

    I helped a friend upgrade his laptop HD recently and we used a network
    technique. I imaged his old laptop HD to his desktop computer. Then using a
    "Reatogo BartPE Ghost 9 boot CD" in the laptop, the image was restored from
    the desktop to the laptop. Networking with BartPE is a dream.

    Just another way of doing it, which was very easy.

    Brian K, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Wow! Thanks for ya'lls help, i put my desktop together so i gather
    (from your input) that installing a drive shouldn't be too hard (the
    network idea was quite handy). Thanks again!

    -Gaiko

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Aug 24, 2005