[noob MBP user:] Can only access one share from workgroup host at a time

Discussion in 'Apple' started by riprap, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. riprap

    riprap Guest

    Hello, All
    Just bought a used MacBook Pro and am trying to integrate it into an
    existing [XP-hosted] workgroup.
    The deal is: While on the mac, I CAN access xp's shared files, but
    can only do so one shared-file at a time. And the only way that happens
    is to use Go > Connect, then entering smb://<host computer's ip
    address>. When I do that, a window on the mac's screen comes up and
    generously asks me which shared folder I want to access (out of approx.
    20 on the host machine!), and then I'm able to see and read that one
    folder's files....
    If I open a Finder window, click on Network in the sidebar, the name
    of the workgroup comes up fine in the next column over, but when I
    click on that workgroup name I can't get the name of the localhost
    computer to show up.
    The mac & the XP Pro machine can ping each other just fine!

    TIA for any help.

    riprap

    riprap, Dec 15, 2006

  2. I think you're seeing the shared folder restrictions between MacOS
    client and MacOS server. Check out Share Points:

    Michael Vilain, Dec 16, 2006

  3. riprap

    riprap Guest

    Hello, Michael
    Thanks much for the reply [:-D
    I'm going nuts here trying to learn a thousand new things at once on
    the mac....
    Took note of the link you sent, and will try it out asap. I'll shoot
    you back a note
    and let you know if that solved the issue.
    Later

    riprap

    <snip>

    riprap, Dec 16, 2006