Northbridge fan not working on new MSI board?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    Hey gang,

    Just successfully upgraded my system, thanks again for some of the helpful
    tips over the last couple of weeks.

    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
    AMD X2 4400+
    Thermalrite XP 90 heatsink
    2gb pc3500 LL Pro Corsair ram
    2 ea WD 250 gb sata drives
    Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card

    I have done a fresh install of Windows XP Pro and am currently reinstalling
    all my programs.

    I installed the Thermalrite heatsink with arctic silver 5. My temps are
    looking great, cpu at 30-32c

    However, I notice the msi fan included on the northbridge chip ( I believe),
    is not running.
    Is this something I should be overly concerned with? System seems stable,
    although I have not really stressed it yet.

    Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006

  2. I don't suppose it's temperature-sensitive? That's easy to rule out
    though, just hold a match to it. ;-)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    Hmmm, I suppose it could be, though I didn't see anything in the manual on
    that... good idea on the match, think I better not though :)

    Don

    Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Don Burnette

    dino Guest

    those are notoriously faulty fans, I have built 3 systems based on that
    board, and 2 of them sounded like a blender crushing ice and the other was
    fine. If you send it back in they will replace just the fan..and no they are
    not temp sensitive. Check to make sure the fan is plugged in all the way,
    maybe it has been dislodged from the socket.

    dino, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    Thanks Dino, I will check the connection. Not sure I want to dissamble all
    and send the board back though :(
    Will advise...

    Don

    Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    Got it!. One of my small leader wires from the case to the mb had gotten
    stuck in it, preventing it from spinning.
    All is working now, whew!

    Thanks,

    Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Don Burnette

    DaveL Guest

    I find it hard to believe that you noticed the fan was not spinning yet you
    didn't notice a case lead stuck in it.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    Small wire that kind of blended in, plus I ain't as young as I used to be
    and my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

    Don

    Don Burnette, Feb 5, 2006
  9. Don Burnette

    dino Guest

    just to clarify..you can return just the fan..not the board..but then you
    have no cooling...I know of one PC builder that is pulling them off as they
    build the system and putting a passive cooler on. If you happen to notice a
    high pitch squeal or whine while system is on..it is that little fan
    spinning at 5000rpm howling at you, and when that noise starts..man it is
    headache causing material.

    dino, Feb 5, 2006
  10. Don Burnette

    Bill Guest

    Borrow your wifes hair drier.

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 5, 2006
  11. Don Burnette

    Flow Guest

    I recently received a new fan from MSI-Netherlands after contacting them by
    email.
    Maybe you should start working on getting a new fan also Don.
    Because they start getting noisy after some weeks and can come to a full
    stop eventually.
    Now some ppl reported they noticed the fan not spinning after a while and
    did not noticed any strange behaviour.
    So you could be safe for a little while with just the heatsink.
    But your NB chip will burnout sooner then later.
    Fitting it yourself should be an easy task,there are just 2 pins that clip
    in,just as with vga coolers.
    As a matter of fact,the fan MSI sended to me is a vga cooler,or that's
    what's written on it anyway.
    although not needed at present it wont hurt to have the replacement fan
    ready to go when required.
    Goodluck.

    Flow, Feb 5, 2006
  12. Don Burnette