    external hard drive is not visible by windows on start up ... when I
    unplag the usb cable and plag it back ..then it is found and properly
    recognized ... can this be a problem ? Thanks a lot !

    el__marcin, Jul 13, 2006

  2. el__marcin

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, that's possibly a problem, but are you sure that 2003 supported USB
    drives? That's a pretty old version.

    Tom Scales, Jul 13, 2006

  3. el__marcin

    el__marcin Guest

    yes it does ..in the option menu you can chose from variety of usb 1.1,
    2 etc ..What can I do to solve the problem ?

    el__marcin, Jul 13, 2006
  4. el__marcin

    Keith S. Guest

    one option is to partition your hard drive, GHOST image your C drive
    partition to the new partition. When complete, compy to the USB drive from
    within windows

    Keith S., Jul 13, 2006
  5. el__marcin

    ric Guest

    if this isn't suitable then i'd try one of the following:
    1) sometimes usb hard disks can be a little flaky on first startup.
    i've a usb->ide adaptor i use for booting laptops without CDROMs off an
    external CDROM and it only appears to the bios after the PC's been on
    for a few seconds. first boot doesn't do it, so to get it recognised I
    need to connect it, power up, go into the bios to stall it for a few
    seconds, then exit bios - it then appears. drove me mad till i worked
    this out.
    2) it might be that your external drive or PC just doesn't support usb
    bulk storage outside of windows - check bios for option to enable it.
    does the usb drive appear in the boot list or anywhere else in bios
    that would confirm the PC is seeing it?
    3) try a different usb hard disk - i use the aforementioned
    usb->sata/ide connector and a standard disk.
    4) try a different imaging program like acronis trueimage and see if
    its usb support is any better.

    hope this helps,
    ric

    ric, Jul 13, 2006
  6. el__marcin

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Long term, keep an eye out at sites like BUY.COM for special rebates. I
    got version 10.0 for free after updates.

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 13, 2006
  7. el__marcin

    pheeh.zero Guest

    Hi, the USB support requires an update for Symantec.
    I had SW Pro 2003 and uninstalled it...I wanted to use Ghost for
    cloning to USB...I installed Ghost but it wouldn't recognize USB...I
    figured I'd try update even though it was out of subscription.
    The update took and it saw the external.

    HTH
    -pheeh

    pheeh.zero, Jul 13, 2006
  8. Yes it supports both USB and Firewire drives. I still use 2003 and
    probably will do so as long as it works for me. As far as the posters
    issue, are you having a drive assigned at the time that you go into
    advanced options? When I first used Ghost 2003 and the check box said
    to assign drives it didn't work...couldn't find the drive. When I tell
    it not to assign the drives, no issues on either USB or Firewire drives.

    Robin Brumfield, Jul 13, 2006
  9. As a side note, I have an external Western Digital 80GB harddrive that
    Ghost 2003 will simply not work on but I have an external Western
    Digital 120GB that works fine. Go figure. I have also used an internal
    Maxtor 160GB in a ide external adapter that has worked fine as well.

    Robin Brumfield, Jul 13, 2006
  10. IIRC Ghost2003 has an Options menu where you specify drivers and the
    like for its use (when it's not running under Windows). If you don't
    specify USB2.0 drivers, you'll have a problem like what you've described.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jul 13, 2006
  11. el__marcin

    pheeh.zero Guest

    I have a WD 80Gb ext. that works fine with it. Go figure!

    pheeh.zero, Jul 14, 2006
  12. el__marcin

    Keith S. Guest

    this may help, if its worth the effort

    Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

    Miracle-driver from Panasonic Japan does the unthinkable

    By Fernando Cassia: Friday 27 June 2003, 11:19

    HAVING AN EXTERNAL USB cd-writer or hard disk works wonders as long as your
    operating system is in good shape. But if someday the system stops booting,
    you are lost. Booting from good old MS-DOS or Windows boot diskettes - even
    fitted with the needed third party NTFSDOS or EXTFS drivers - gives you
    access to your fixed hard disk only, but none of the USB peripherals can be
    accessed from the DOS command line.

    Before you start scratching your head, let me repeat that this is not
    related to your favorite linux distro's or Windows XP/W2K/98/ME's USB
    support, this has to do with people like me, booting some flavor of DOS to
    copy files around or using DOS-based partition back-up software.

    Imagine that you want to use Paragon Drive Backup, Powerquest's Drive Image,
    or Norton Ghost, to backup your hard disk partitions to that nice 120gb
    external USB 2.0 hard disk you just bought. You can't do it. Or if your
    wife/husband has managed to mess up her/his system so badly that it can't
    boot anymore, yet she/he wants you to have a copy of those nice digital
    pictures stored on a compactflash card plugged into the compactflash
    reader?. No way, Jose. Not from DOS, used to be the phrase.

    Well, now you CAN.

    The minor miracle here is using a driver file called "USBASPI.SYS"
    ("Panasonic v2.06 ASPI Manager for USB mass storage"). Given the right
    parameter incantations, this 16-bit Panasonic-developed DOS driver will let
    your system boot good-old DOS -any flavour, maybe even Caldera's OpenDOS and
    recognize all USB devices connected to the respective controllers. So this
    USB device identification is also useful for debugging/troubleshooting
    purposes.

    However, it should be noted that this driver will only map mass storage
    devices like external hard disks, cd- roms, cd-rw, dvd-rom, zip, jaz,
    ls-120, and flash memory to ASPI devices. Then you need an elusive "ASPI
    mass storage driver" to map HDs and flash disks it to a drive letter in DOS.
    This one goes by the name "di1000dd.sys", commonly referred to as the "Motto
    Hairu USB Driver". Don't ask why, it's called that, I don't know.

    Before you continue reading and decide to go out and do "bad things" let me
    mention that legalese on the Panasonic site most probably prevents you from
    downloading and using this driver on non-Panasonic devices, yet according to
    reports that are floating around on the Interweb, people have been able to
    use these "universal drivers" on a wide range of systems with different USB
    connectivity, UHCI, OHCI, and USB 2.0's EHCI with the NEC chipset.

    The Panasonic DOS drivers seem to work on most USB chipset implementations,
    including Intel and NEC, as well as NVidia, VIA, and SIS. It seems Panasonic
    engineers didn't want to have to write a driver every time for every
    different chipset, so they wrote this "universal" driver to work with all
    possible USB controllers.

    Now the hairy details for DOS old-timers like myself who actually enjoy
    editing config.sys [Cough. Ed.]:

    The driver switches you can use are: device=(path)\USBASPI.SYS [/e] [/o]
    [/u] [/w] [/v] [/l[=n]] [/f] /r] [/slow] [/nocbc] [/norst] [/noprt]

    The driver scans all three USB controller specs by default, but you can
    limit which controllers are enabled using these switches:

    /e EHCI spec (USB 2.0)
    /o OHCI spec (newer USB 1.x)
    /u UHCI spec (older USB 1.x)

    And so far I learned what these switches mean:

    /w Wait, displays text message for attaching or swapping USB devices
    /v Verbose, shows status messages - recommended
    /l[=n] LUN, specifies highest LUN # to be attached to device ID (default=0)
    Example config.sys and autoexec.bat files on a DOS boot diskette with USB
    support for an usb cd-(rom/rw) and hard disk look like this:

    [config.sys]
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    lastdrive=Z
    device=HIMEM.SYS
    rem The following line loads Panasonic's universal USB- controller driver
    devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
    rem the following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb- connected HDs and
    compactflash memory cards
    devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
    rem The following one loads CD-ROM driver
    devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001

    [autoexec.bat]
    @echo off
    REM the following line adds a drive letter to the usb cd(rom/r/rw) mounted
    LH MSCDEX /d:USBCD001

    The Panasonic driver also seems to recognise some TI cardbus controllers,
    making it possible to use USB peripherals attached to USB (even 2.0!)
    Cardbus cards. Your mileage might vary. Knowledge of the Japanese language
    might be required to read and understand the Panasonic licence agreement or
    the cease-and-desist letters. Explore at your own risk.

    Comments? Drop me a line here. ยต

    L'INQs
    Panasonic v2.06 ASPI Manager for USB mass storage
    USBASPI.SYS
    (Look for the "F2H" subdirectory after extraction of the downloaded archive)
    FTP site: Motto Hairu Mass Storage ASPI drivers

    Keith S., Jul 14, 2006
  13. el__marcin

    el__marcin Guest

    am I lost ? Ok so my system does not boot .. so what i do is I start it
    with windows installation CD format everything clean..once it is pure
    clean and in good shape (seeing what it is supposed to see) I do the
    image from the USB drive (image file stored on my external hdd)...and I
    am happy again ....did I miss something here ?

    el__marcin, Jul 16, 2006
  14. el__marcin

    Jay B Guest

    the restoring the image takes the place of booting from the windows cd
    and installing windows first. you would be booting from a ghost cd!

    Jay B, Jul 16, 2006
  15. el__marcin

    el__marcin Guest

    I tried True Image..cool soft ..

    I plan to purchase copy of it
    do I make a right assumption when it comes to restoring my whole system
    from a backup image :

    In case system failure:

    1. Format hdd
    2. Restore Windows from windows installation disc
    3. Install True Image from any installation file that is backup-ed
    4. Restore my previous settings (software installed, registries
    everytging) running the backup restore file from my external HDD

    Questions :

    while I was running image file of my HDD ...the 7GB file was created in
    12 minutes .. kinda short aint it ? I was using external HDD

    True Image was performing backup while system was running ... How did
    he expect to gain access to files being already in use ?
    Symantec Ghost restarts the system and then performs backup in DOS mode
    .... this is understandable ...
    Thanks

    el__marcin, Jul 20, 2006
  16. el__marcin

    Tom Scales Guest

    Nah, it's easier than that. Go through the steps to create an emergency
    boot CD. Then you just boot the CD and restore to a blank hard drive.

    12 minutes seems fast. Did you do a complete or incremental backup?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 20, 2006
  17. el__marcin

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Norton Ghost 10 works the same way. It no longer requires rebooting into
    DOS. When you want to do a full restore, you boot from the product CD
    and restore.

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 21, 2006