not authorized bypassing of my passwords and changing info

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Guest, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My laptop stolen by Carl taylor my nephew who sold it to
    a local network co. then returned to me with all files
    business and personal files deleted. Now this laptop
    shows the windows is registered to the network co. which
    bought and sold back my laptop to the thief who got
    caught. Why and how could they bypass the fact that my
    laptop needed my password to even bring up windows xp.

    Is this legal for the network company to be able to
    change my registered windows information to his.
    Considering my laptop did not contain any informaton
    relating to CARL TAYLOR the thief.

    PLEASE HELP WITH ANY infomation to recover my data,
    bypassing my password to get into my windows and how they
    reregistered my windows product

    Guest, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Probably not the right forum for this... As far as getting around your
    password, it takes someone with the right tools about 10 seconds to bypass
    any account authentication if they have physical access to the machine.

    If you have the computer back, you're better off than 99% of the people out
    there who get their notebooks stolen.

    If they've deleted the information, and you can't get it back with various
    undelete utilities, then there's nothing you can do to retrieve the info.

    JDThree [MVP], Aug 13, 2004

  3. Guest

    LPH Guest

    Sorry to read about troubles with stolen equipment. At least you hav
    the hardware back. Sadly, the highest security risk is when th
    equipment is in someone's hands. Passwords can be bypassed and easil
    reset.

    For example,

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type "mmc" (without the quotation marks), and the
    click OK to start MMC.
    3. Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in. (might have to add th
    snap-in under File)
    4. Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups", and then clic
    Users.
    5. In the right pane, right-click Administrator, and then click Se
    Password.
    6. Click Proceed in the message box that appears.
    7. Type and confirm the new password in the appropriate boxes, and the
    click OK.

    This is why it is important to keep your equipment close by or locke
    up out of reach of anyone else.

    WRT the other issues, it is best to take this up with the company wh
    reset things without your consent.

    Good luck

    LPH, Aug 13, 2004