    it has a 4 year warranty (have had it 2 years) and they refuse to repair
    it saying that it is not covered by the warranty duet o liquid damage to
    motherboard! Now what?

    jollyharry, Nov 5, 2013

  2. Since the school obliged you to buy this laptop, it has a moral
    obligation to repair/replace it. (You are probably not the first
    to encounter a warranty problem like this.)

    Don Phillipson, Nov 5, 2013

  3. Better make sure the truth is reality.

    I've seen adults claim one thing to hide reality, so how do we know
    spilled soda or something wasn't actually the case?

    Michael

    Michael Black, Nov 5, 2013
  4. It's not uncommon to be brought a computer that "just stopped
    working" and find it full of dried Nescafe or fossilized Coca-Cola. One
    time I opened one up and it was still wet! People don't like to admit
    embarrassing mistakes. But if the liquid diet hasn't damaged the thing,
    broken power jacks are a common problem and smart designers make them so you
    don't even solder: screw in and plug a cable. But most still use soldered on
    ones. If you're at all handy with an iron it's a simple fix and a cheap
    part. Probably run 50-75 bucks to have it done for you.

    Heck, if you're anywhere near Austin, Texas I'll do it for free, unless
    it's one of those Japanese brands that aren't made to be repaired or even
    opened up. Or turned on... :)

    It's a Dell, isn't it? That should be easy enough.

    the wharf rat, Nov 7, 2013
  5. Well, maybe in Camelot, but even there you'd need to find a
    champion and hope he wins the joust...

    No kidding, "profit margin" trumps "moral obligation". And it's
    pretty hard to argue that they should honor a warranty on a laptop someone
    spilled half a liter of Coke into, anyway...

    Luckily, power jacks are an easy fix on most systems.

    the wharf rat, Nov 7, 2013
  6. Because a broken power jack is obvious: it's loose and moved back into
    the case so you can't plug the charging cable in. Usually happens because of
    hauling the laptop across the bed by the power cord, or other trying to use
    it just a little too far from the outlet, etc.

    And you'd be surprised how many laptops work just fine for years after
    attempted drownings in sweetened beverages. I even saw one with dried
    chocolate milk inside it. The complaint was "cd-rom don't work". It didn't
    work cause it was gummed up with chocolate milk. Other than that it was fine.

    the wharf rat, Nov 7, 2013