    Regards,
    Glenn M
    A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    Glenn M, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    With Dell, we have found it is not the quality of the hardware that is the
    problem, but the lack of quality of the after sale support provided by the
    "Home and Home Office" division.

    Describing it a poor would be a huge compliment.

    Irene, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    Not again. According to MS tech support, that was SUPPOSED to have been
    fixed.

    Anybody have any ideas why OE is posting multiples of the same post?

    Irene, Mar 1, 2004
  5. it is a good survey, just dated. the give away to me was the name micronpc
    that appeared in the report. it was changed to mpc in december 2002... so
    it was definitely written/published before december 2002 probably for their
    december 2002 printed magazine publication or they would have caught that.
    many of the issues remain the same, yet the off shore tech support was not
    fully deployed by the majors then... would be interesting to see a update of
    the same.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Hidalgo Guest

    dell blows. their hardware is the same as everybody elses. they have
    perfected the art of after the sale torture. if you have a problem you can
    expect hours on the phone being given the run around and then a loud click.
    build your own and support yourself through the newsgroups. you'll get
    better info than you will from some nit wit in India.

    Hidalgo, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    Gus Guest

    Another American whose knowledge of geography is abysmal! ;)

    Gus, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Thomas G. Marshall

    Gus Guest

    Right, I love it when someone posts "I just bought a Gruntmaster 6000" -
    is this a good machine/did I get a good deal/will I have problems with
    it? Ask these questions before, not after, the sale.

    Gus, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    KevinONeil Guest

    just don't confuse them with micron..
    significantly more expensive than what can be had from others.>

    Actually, all I can say is when I priced a Dell 8300 and a MPC Millenia with
    "like" components in December 2003, the MPC was at least $600 less, and the
    video card wasn't an OEM (Dell's was), the DVD writer was a Sony dual format
    (Dell only sells a R+), the power supply was 50 watts larger, the case was a
    much better design and I could get a Raid O configuration (Dell wasn't
    providing it).

    PC World rates the MPC as both better in quality and less expensive than the
    8300 too.

    Buy what ever you want, but at least get your facts straight or update your
    information.

    KevinONeil, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    Deep Guest

    My OE is just fine...

    Deep

    Deep, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    Mine, too. Never had that issue.
    HH

    HH, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Yeah, but at least you can understand me when I'm not understandable.... :p

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 1, 2004
  13. I saw that *too* in PC world. When you say that the dvd writer was a sony,
    and not an oem, I'm assuming that you really mean off-the-shelf sony,
    complete with logo on the front, etc.?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Does MPC use off-shore support as well I wonder?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Well I have to back up Christopher Muto here.

    I just tried a /number/ of different ways to configure the following:

    p4/3.0Ghz/800fsb/512mb400mhz/dvd+rw/17lcd/XPpro/MSworks/...

    and could not get less than $350 /more/ than the same equipped 8300.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 1, 2004
  16. assuming that your facts are right about last december, and that you could
    difference suggests to me that you had something significantly different
    about the two systems that you felt were similar. today, for instance, the
    dimension 8300 is $178.74 less than a nearly identical (specification wise)
    millennia 920i ($1349.21 vs. 1527.95). ...and that is using the dell small
    business which collects sales tax from all states (cheaper from most from
    the home/small office site). but please don't believe me, price it out for
    yourself. also, post your questions about the mpc to
    alt.sys.pc-clone.micron where they still manage to post a dozen or two
    threads per months (14 items for february). perhaps someone there can tell
    you about their opinion about mpc tech support. but unlike this group and
    delltalk, you won't find much by way of user to user support with mpc. good
    luck.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    Allan9 Guest

    I could not agree more.
    Al

    Allan9, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Could just be a server side issue. If an email transmission is not
    confirmed, it may be requed and then resent when it comes up again, per the
    RFC.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Thomas G. Marshall

    leosity Guest

    So, would you suggest buying through the Small business division. (or is
    that the same support?)

    leosity, Mar 1, 2004
  20. A Small Business purchase, alone, will not insure American-based support.

    I not-so-recently purchased a Precision Workstation. With Dell's standard
    level of support, one gets "Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site
    Response." The next level is "Same Day 4-Hour Parts and Labor On-Site
    Response," with their "Gold Technical Support" being one more level up
    and top of the line.

    At the time, they offered a free upgrade to GTS from "Same Day..." and
    this is the level that I chose. They've guaranteed that GTS will get one
    connected with special GTS techs, with little or no wait time, and all
    located in the US.

    After receiving an e-mail, confirming my enrollment in the GTS program,
    I gave them a call, just to see if it worked as advertised.

    I was on hold for less than a minute, with an American-English (vs. a
    Queen's-English) speaking person answering my call.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Mar 1, 2004