Not Dell? So whom else to buy from? Suggestions PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. try posting this question to alt.sys.pc-clone.micron. not much action
    there, but you might get lucky. or call mpc and ask.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    I appreciate the information. That wasn't mentioned by MS Tech Support.

    Irene, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    joe_tide Guest

    How many does that make now?

    joe_tide, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Not a normal PC tech support end user issue. It's more common on the
    server side with the admins sometimes dropping traffic to bad server until
    it gets fixed. The added traffic a very busy server but malfunctioning
    server can cause is surprising. Like when the @home network was turned off
    a few years back. Even though it was well documented there was still a
    spike that hit almost 30% of the total email volume for the net as all the
    mail routed there bounced back and forth a few times as well as generating a
    goodly amount of special error messages. Some Email servers are configured
    to retry for up to 48 hours before returning the message to the sender as
    undeliverable. Meanwhile it may also generates several messages back to the
    sender giving the status of the message. Not to mention those senders who
    have an auto-responder set up on their PC or server. Every message received
    automatically triggers a response that bounces back and the looping
    begins....

    KC

    PS never use an auto-responder on an account list server subscription. You
    can't win no matter who your email is with or how fast your PC and
    connection. And of course the rest of the people on the list will talk bad
    about you. lol

    Kevin Childers, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    Nice Again Guest

    Here's what I recommend to anyone from our community that asks me:
    Find a reliable local computer store. Tell them exactly what you want and
    ask for the cost. I'm sure you'll get as good (or better) product at a much
    better price. And, if service is required it's right around the corner.

    Nice Again, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    Thanks again, much appreciated.

    Irene, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    Excellent advice. That is what we did and we could not be more pleased.

    Now if we could only get enough knowledge and experience to build our own.

    Irene, Mar 1, 2004
  8. I'm not trying to defend Dell, but, if you check other newsgroups,
    every manufacturer "seems to be pissing off people left and right."

    It's usually not the product, but the service-after-the-sale.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    "much better price"???
    Hardly think so. No clone shop can match the big volume parts pricing a
    company like Dell, HP, etc., can get. I've done some comparisons both in
    Houston and where I am now in Northern Virginia, and the local built boxes
    are higher in cost than comparable Dells, HPs, etc.
    And what if you move. "Around the corner" service can become useless.
    HH

    HH, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tech support from just about any company's "Home and Home Office" division is
    third rate or worse. As long as home and home office computer owners insist on
    buying computers on the cheap, they'll get inexpensive systems manufactured with
    such small profit margins that the manufacturer cannot afford to provide any
    more tech support. Caveat emptor. You get what you pay for, so quit
    complaining! Spend more money and you'll get better tech support! And I bet
    that half of the buyers of these cheap systems expect troubleshooting for
    internet connections, anti-virus removal, all for one low price via
    manufacturer's tech support in India or the Phillipines or whereever. It ain't
    gonna happen.

    Today's Boston Globe had a feature article about "digiticians", who make house
    calls, troubleshoot all manner of computer problems, and charge as much as $125
    an hour. That's what I do a lot, and I guess I am a bargain at $100/hr.

    Buy a high quality "white box" computer from a local retailer with a reputation
    for excellent hardware and good support... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    Exactly. Back in the days of the $2500 PIII desktop, support was fine. To
    expect the same from purchase prices ranging from $349 to $999 (generally)
    is to ignore the simple math.

    "But ya got one helluva DEAL on it!"

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Thomas G. Marshall

    Allan9 Guest

    Ben
    I couldn't agree more with what you say. They replaced my entire system
    because of problems I received the replacement system probably 35 days after
    I received the first one. I asked for some help reinstalling original
    software. I was promptly informed that'll cost you $29 per hour. Pardon me
    for belaboring the point.
    Al

    Allan9, Mar 2, 2004
  13. Sorry---I've done that extensively and you're just wrong. No store that
    I've ever walked into can come close to Dell. If you know of one, post it
    here along with a tally.

    By the time you end up adding in the mem + dvd/rw + 17" lcd ultrasharp,
    etc., the local mom & pop's just can't make a buck at the the dell prices.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  14. Well.......................................duh. Have you been following
    this thread? :p

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  15. Your point is?

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Mar 2, 2004
  16. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    I agree with regard to the price points of apples to apples hardware AND
    software configuration when comparing a local vendor to a behemoth like
    Dell.

    Even if the local can match the hardware costs, the OS and office bundling
    costs are not comparable, simply due to Dell's volume sold.

    However, if one does have a local whom they appreciate dealing with, then
    paying a bit more shouldn't bother them.

    S.Lewis, Mar 2, 2004
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    Hardly think so. No clone shop can match the big volume parts pricing a
    That's pretty much a function of whether you get the after sale support that
    you paid for or not. Does it not? If you pay for support that you don't
    get, you have to write off that part of the cost, do you not?

    That's makes the local shop, if you choose wisely, more bang for the buck,
    so to speak.

    In light of the new reality among the large manufacturers, we most certainly
    found that to be true.

    Irene, Mar 2, 2004
  18. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    Ah, but as I said, we paid an average price that exceeded $2500 each for
    our three Dimension desk tops. Do we deserve to get the same support that
    the buyer of a $500 or $600 pc gets.

    I think not!

    Irene, Mar 2, 2004
  19. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, it appears as though you're only considering Price and not
    over-all experience or quality.

    I have and do buy from Dell for customers, but I only buy local for my
    own company. I can spec a machine with the same hardware (or better) and
    get it exactly the way I want it for the same or less price than a Dell.

    The only drawback to not having a major vendor is the lack of 24/7
    support (which is less of a drawback when you have to use off-shore
    support).

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  20. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    Dell does get some good breaks, but you can purchase an OEM copy of
    Windows XP Prof for about $140 (full version) with any hardware purchase
    if you have a good vendor - if they can't get you the OEM products then
    they are not big enough to work with.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004