    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    The OS. Price Office XP in addition to that.

    S.Lewis, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    I got Win XP Prof OEM for $140 and Office 2003 SBE OEM for $240 with
    that system - I bought three computers, P4/2.6g, 40GB drives, 512MB Ram,
    CD-RW, 17" Viewsonic Monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound, Add-On video card
    (9200 series), NIC, misc... with the OS, Software, and pre-built by the
    VAR each machine was bout $1250 with TAX. This includes a 1 year parts
    warranty (cross-ship defective parts with VAR, no the hardware mfgr).

    I just priced a Dell 2400 with the same hardware and software (could not
    add a real video card to the system) and it was $1278 (not including tax
    or shipping) and did not include a video card (it has the one on the
    MB).

    So, take the Dell, build it like a local shop, add in the same hardware
    (can't really tell if Dell was using the same good stuff), and even
    before the tax and shipping is added the Dell is more expensive.

    The VAR systems were Syspreped and ready for activation and have all the
    CD's for XP Prof and Office 2003 SBE.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Can you take a second and tally this up for me? I cannot find a single
    store online or anywhere else that can match dell. I'm sorry, but I just
    don't believe it.

    Take a look at the upgrades in Dell for getting a 17" ultrasharp. And what
    it costs to get into the 3+Ghz/800fsb land. I just cannot find /anyone/
    close.

    ....[thwack]...

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  4. 1. Is the viewsonic an analog or digital LCD?
    2. Is the $1250 you mentioned with or without the XP/pro and Office
    small-biz?

    Because this is what I can get from dell for $1039:

    Dimension 2400
    $1,139
    Before $100 mail-in rebate.
    Preliminary Ship Date2
    3/9/2004

    Catalog Number Description Product Code SKU Id
    Dimension 2400 Series: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.66GHz with 533MHz front
    side bus 24TVL2 [462-7733] 1
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP
    [313-7222][412-0409][420-1922] 11
    Mail-in Rebate: Save $100 with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate.
    100FPQ1 [462-7656] 56
    FREE TurboTax Basic: FREE TurboTax® Basic for Tax Year 2003 TAX [420-4125]
    106
    Memory: 512MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB
    systems) 512M3 [311-2076] 3
    Hard Drive: FREE UPGRADE! 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 80P
    [462-2996] 8
    Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in Floppy Drive FD
    [340-9334] 10
    CD or DVD Drive: Single Drive: FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive with Sonic
    RecordNow 48CDRWP [462-5474][462-7806] 16
    Keyboard: Dell™ Quietkey® Keyboard QK [310-1582] 4
    Mouse: Dell® 2-Button Scroll Mouse SM [310-1871] 12
    Productivity Software: Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Money®
    COREL [412-0395][412-0551][412-0555] 22
    Security Software: Norton Internet Security™, 90 day trial NIS90 [412-0626]
    25
    Monitor: New 17 in E172FPb Flat Panel Display E172FP [320-2314] 5
    Video Card: Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics IV [430-3900] 6
    Sound Card: Integrated Audio IS [313-0847] 17
    Dell Media Experience: Dell Media Experience™ DMX [412-0519] 115
    Speakers: Stereo Speakers ADA215 [313-1874] 18
    Multi-Media Players: RealOne™ Player, with 14 day SuperPass trial REALBAS
    [412-0380] 40
    Digital Music: Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH MMBASE [412-0516] 27
    Digital Photography: Dell Picture Studio, Paint Shop Pro Trial, Photo Album
    Starter Edition DPS [412-0521] 28
    Dial-Up Internet Access: 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
    AOLDHS [412-0587][412-0625][420-3224] 37
    Modem: 56K PCI Data Fax Modem DFAX [313-1313] 14
    Network Interface: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0441] 13
    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options: 1 Year Limited Warranty
    plus 1 Year At-Home Service S111OS [412-0360][950-3337][950-7990][950-9797]
    29

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  5. don't know how your got $1039, i got $889 for the exact same config... and
    the flat panel represents over $400 of that price. no shipping, and no tax
    collected to my (and most) states). go to dell.com, home/small office, then
    scroll down to 'as advertised', then desktops, and look for the $799
    configuration and add the things to customize it to your preferences.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 2, 2004
  6. I'm going to wade in here and offer an alternate approach. This is how I
    plan to buy my next computer from Dell:

    You start with the model you want - Dimension, OptiPlex, 4600, 8300, etc. -
    and configure a very basic machine. Choose the fastest processor you like,
    but the least expensive hard disk, video card, sound card, network card (or
    use on-board video, sound and networking) and the most basic CD burner or
    reader. You've got a simple machine backed by Dell quality. Accuse me of
    being a flag waver, but I still like Dell quality.

    Use the machine for a while, make sure everything works properly and then
    sit back and wait for the inevitable sales/rebates/coupons from the
    electronics toy stores. As time goes by, you upgrade one component at a
    time. Before too long you'll have yourself a screamer, with components that
    Dell may not even sell, at a price considerably less than what you'd pay for
    a Dell-configured screamer.

    This approach is not for everyone, of course. For one thing, you have to
    believe that all the rebate forms you're going to be filling out will turn
    into cash. I've had very good luck in that department, but I also stay on
    top of the situation.

    You also need to be willing to crack open the case and install the
    components you're going to be buying. Dell makes that pretty easy. Someone
    who assembled a computer in the 1990's would probably look at the inside of
    my Dimension 4500 and call it a toy.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    Mine was with XP Prof and Office 2003 SBE with Power Point. Same as with
    the VAR box. I don't buy LCD panels, this was a 17" Glass screen

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    I've moved to buying systems (part them out) at www.5oclock.com and have
    been very happy with them for the last several years.

    I order just under a million a year from Dell for customers and can get
    some real good price breaks, but Dell, for the small customer, has
    pushed itself out of the market due to bad support in my opinion. Since
    I've stated buying VAR boxes I've not had any more problems that with
    the Dell systems (less in fact - since I spec the hardware). In general
    it's a wash, if you don't mind loosing the 24/7 off-shore support you
    can work with the local people and get quality machines at close or less
    than Dell prices.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    I'll take my Dimension 2400 package any day.
    2.4GHz Celeron
    512MB RAM
    40GB 7,200 rpm HD
    1.44 Floppy drive
    16X DVD drive
    48/24 CD-RW
    XP Home

    T, T &L including delivery....$454...from SMB side (no rebate crap
    involved).

    HH

    HH, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    But you didn't price the same system or the same options - yours did not
    include better sound, XP Professional, Office 2003 SBE with Power Point,
    and was a Celeron CPU - I selected a P4.

    We could do this all day, but you can't get the same system that I
    quoted from a VAR for less with Dell (at least not on their web site).

    I just tried to configure your system on the SMB site and could not even
    see an option for Celeron with the 2400 and it started at more than 500
    with the 512MB of RAM and still had not added shipping or tax.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    Start here:

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim24min&s=bsd

    Today, one configured like mine is $538 + Tax. The free shipping deal is
    still in effect. I didn't need a P4 for my PC use, the onboard sound is fine
    and I already have Office 2000 Premium.
    I just posted mine to show you don't have to spend $1K for a PC, at least
    most folks don't.

    HH

    HH, Mar 2, 2004
  12. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    And I didn't say that the System was what most people would want, but
    you can't say that the one you spec'd is anything near what I did.

    You should try to show systems with the same hardware and software if
    you really want to show the cost differences between Dell and a VAR
    system.

    Your example is like showing a Yugo vs a Mazda - both get you there but
    are not in the same class.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  13. Use their "print" icon---a summary window will pop up and then you can copy
    and paste it here so I can see what you're talking about.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  14. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    Your Yugo vs. Mazda is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? I wouldn't refer
    to any Dell as a Yugo. A Packard Bell maybe, but not a 2400 Dimension of ANY
    flavor. Also, just about anyone would go for a 4600 if they were going to
    spend $1K on a PC.
    HH

    HH, Mar 2, 2004
  15. And you got me doing it now too: but top posting is ok, but not after others
    have bottom posted. It's making a mess.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  16. But you need to provide me (us) with a tallied up list of what cost what,
    and whom this local is.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 2, 2004
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, I was comparing the 2400 stripped version to the same 2400
    configured to match the VAR system that I spec'd it against.

    So, if the $400 2400 was a car, it would be a Yugo, and a loaded 2400
    might be considered a Mazda 323 on the same scale.

    The fact is that when you look at prices you have to compare like to
    like in order to be about to say "Hey look! I can get system X cheaper
    than system Y from another vendor". If the hardware isn't very close it
    about like the Yugo and Mazda thing.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  18. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    I already said I purchased them through www.5oclock.com and ordered the
    OEM version of Windows XP Prof and OEM Office 2003 Small Business
    Edition with Power Point.

    All you have to do it check it out for yourself.

    Here is a list of what I got:

    AGP ASUS Radeon 9200SE/T (ATI) 64MB
    ATX CaseEdge FX-606B Black Aud+USB 300W
    CD-RW Lite-On LTR-52327S-Black (52x32x52)
    CPU Intel P4 2.40GHz 800MHz-FSB 512K 478
    DDR266 512MB Mt/Inf/Sam
    FDD Mitsumi Floppy Drive 1.44 MB - Black
    HDI West Dig. 40GB-JB Caviar 7200rpm IDE 8MB
    M/Board Intel D865GLCL 800fsb DDR400
    MON 17in Viewsonic G70F-B Black 16inV
    APS Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Ed.
    OPS MS Windows XP Pro w/hardware purchase
    SVC New PC 1-Year Carry-in No
    (added keyboard and mouse for about $15)

    Out the door with tax was $1250.

    Leythos, Mar 2, 2004
  20. Thomas G. Marshall

    Joe Guest

    Or if you are making a profit on cutting the quality of your crappy
    propietary products like Dell.

    Sure you make a profit.

    Joe, Mar 3, 2004