    Interesting point.

    Wrong

    But interesting point

    Tom Scales, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Ben Myers Guest

    Nope. Not a Yugo. Maybe an old-time VW beetle? A pedestrian car, but it
    worked reliably. Dell Dimension 2400. IMHO, same sort of vehicle. Yugo? More
    like Packard Bell, which met the same demise, at least in the US... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    Leythos Guest

    Quality and deadlines are the first things to fall when a company needs
    money or is over-budget on something.

    Leythos, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    ....which hypothetically says I'm doing even worse things if I'm losing my
    arse and making little or no profits on my crappy proprietary HPaq, or
    Gateway machine.

    And so it goes..

    S.Lewis, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    My sentiments as well.
    HH

    HH, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Gus Guest

    Don't know - can't count that high, either. ;)

    Gus, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    My biggest concern with the Dimension 23XX series (and up to the 24XX and
    now the 46XX) is that the case and hardware were the first to depart from
    Dell's previous custom-designed chassis (at least in my experience with Dell
    machines). As I've mentioned before, in years prior even the Dimension L
    case (the least expensive Dell line at that time) was a custom case just for
    Dell, with some thought for ease of use and access for the end user or
    service technician. It went beyond what they had to do on their entry-level
    machines. To me, that extra effort suggested quality, concern, and plenty of
    forethought on their part.

    Now, the L has been replaced with the 23XX/24XX, and the same chassis has
    now crept up into the mid-entry machines (formerly the 43XX-45XX series),
    leaving only the top-end 83XX and XPS as having those same niceties. To me,
    even acknowledging the reality of changes in the industry, it smacks of
    cheap at the customer's (potential) hassle and a significant departure from
    the previous approach.

    To add salt to the wounds, go have a look at the brand new Optiplex
    160L/170L machines. Yep, same chassis now infecting the corporate lineup.

    While it may not make much difference to a home user, I've got to guess that
    a network tech potentially supporting dozens or even hundreds of systems
    with these new cases will be sorely pissed off come system board or even
    hard disk replacement time. Kiss quick release components goodbye, and
    welcome fumbling with lots of screws back into the picture.

    The little stuff that used to count apparently has been overridden by a low
    price currently. And for the record, I am not impressed with Mitac's work,
    whether it be in Dell, HP, or Compaq systems (perhaps some of their retail
    stuff is okay, but I've not worked with any of it).

    jmo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Thomas G. Marshall

    HH Guest

    Stew,
    While I agree in general with your observations, for me, personally, the new
    case style is better. I had a 4550 with the clamshell case, and, while it
    certainly was quiet and a quality case, it was hell for a one-handed person
    to open (I had a stroke a few years ago which affected my left arm/hand). It
    also was no snap for those folks with two functional arms.
    Neat case but clumsey to open.
    I was hesitant to go with the 2400, but I did and if anything, it's quieter
    than my 4550 was. To open, I just lean it over on the side and slide the
    side panel back and off.
    Plus it is far less of a desk space hog (floor positioning isn't practical
    with my current set-up.
    HH

    HH, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    In your situation, I can see where that would absolutely be the case. The
    hinge would be a nightmare.

    S.Lewis, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    Nice Again Guest

    I feel that it's not worth the effort (unless you just want the experience).

    Nice Again, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    Nice Again Guest

    Yes, much better price.

    Nice Again, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    "The Easter Bunny"

    S.Lewis, Mar 4, 2004
  13. I'm sorry to admit that one of the most compelling reasons for me to build
    my own would be those cool see through sides with wiz-bang glowlites inside.
    MAN. Who cares if you spend too much or even if you're system sucks when it
    looks that cool.

    Look at this thing! http://www.pccasegear.com/prod528.htm

    Check out all the pics as you scroll down.

    Actually though, and I don't have any pics readily available, my favorites
    are the all black cases with a clear side with spooky bright blue light
    spraying out from it.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 4, 2004
  14. Thomas G. Marshall

    Russell Guest

  15. Thomas G. Marshall

    Irene Guest

    It would be nice to have enough experience to work on minor problems and
    upgrades ourselves.

    Irene, Mar 4, 2004
  16. Just wing it. Trussssssssssssssst me.

    Most of the upgrades are easy, and just require taking the time to hack at
    it yourself until you figure it out. Some problems, however, can be /very/
    time consuming depending on the issue.

    For example, a *sometimes* flaky motherboard can be a total @$%ing
    pain.in.the.ass to figure out: sometimes the HD might not act right, and
    /only/ the HD for months. And then intermittent /anything else/. Sound
    like I've been through those wars before? lol.

    And no one I know has all the hardware diagnostic equipment that the repair
    shops [are supposed to] have.

    Some simple upgrades catch you by surprise too. For example, in my old
    PII/300 on my desk here (I know I know) I bought a powersupply only to learn
    that Dell during that whacked era decided to keep the same power connector
    (to the motherboard) but swap some of the lines around.

    But it was all worth it.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 4, 2004