not so much as a beep... dead motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pandora Xero, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Pandora Xero

    Pandora Xero Guest

    Couple days ago, i was using my computer, tried to turn it on today,
    No Beeps or on-screen messages... nothing. unplugged everything except
    mouse, keyboard, memory, graphics card, and monitor. nothing...

    maybe its just me, but i'm thinking something happened to the
    motherboard during its "off period". I did install 2 more screws to
    secure the motherboard, and the screwdriver was slightly magnetic.
    maybe that had something to do with it...?

    At this point, it could either be the motherboard or the processor...
    i hope to hell its the former and not the latter, because i just
    bought the processor a month ago. The screwdriver i was using might
    also be linked to the fact that it no longer works.

    Ideas? Suggestions?

    thx in advance
    Pandora Xero

    Pandora Xero, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Pandora Xero

    Randy Guest

    Try taking the 2 screws out. May have caused a short.

    Randy, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Pandora Xero

    Adimurugan.V Guest

    You may accidently short the battery pins. your battery may be dried
    out. Some low end motherboards wont start if it have dried battery. so
    check the battery volt it wont be less than 2.5 v. if it so replace it
    with a new 2032 battery

    Adimurugan.V, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Pandora Xero

    Pandora Xero Guest

    hmm... situation changed a bit... Power button no longer works to turn
    it on. I know of an alternative method to turn it on, but I only get
    fans when i try it (plus I'm risking damage to my motherboard). I
    think i'll look into getting another battery, although I cant see why
    mine would be drained, I've only had it for a little over a year.

    i'll reply to this post if i have any more problems with this issue

    Pandora Xero, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Pandora Xero

    Mouse Guest

    Hi,

    Would say take out the two screwas, the fact that the screw-driver ws
    magnetic should not hve done any harm, unless you did weird things
    (magic or something)
    Then dicsonnect everything, and I mean everyting, just leave the
    processor on the MB and take all other connections from the board, and
    see whether you can bring it to live, if not then one of these two is
    faulty, if it works, then it should beep to notify about no memory,
    graphics and so on, and built it up from there to find the faulty one,
    allows you to easily locate the error by building up. If it does not do
    anything with only MB and processors, then it might be a bit harder to
    determine which one is faulty, it would then be handy to have a
    definitely working MB or processor, so you can swap and see what happens.

    good luck

    Mouse, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Pandora Xero

    Pandora Xero Guest

    Got the thing working again... to a certain extent...

    Power button still does not work
    turns itself on when i plug it in.
    might have something to do with the fact that i had to rig the ATX
    connector.
    heres what i did
    +|+ (clip)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|
    |k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|
    [ATX Conncetor]
    connect pin g with pin l to poweron
    Connect pin c with pin l to poweroff

    I have a feeling this might have screwed up something with the normal
    power-on procedure (i.e. hit button, power comes on) If anybody knows
    anything regarding this, let me know.

    Pandora Xero, Jun 22, 2004