    try to reboot. Would replacing the hard drive and or processor fix
    this?
    Any ideas?? Any help would be appreciated! :)

    Cyn M, Sep 6, 2011

  2. Cyn M

    Paul Guest

    Will it boot from the CD/DVD drive ?

    See if you have a bootable CD in your collection. This is an example
    of a CD that boots, and it's around a 200MB download.

    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

    1. Iso image of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (196 MB)

    Using a program like "Imgburn" or Nero, you can convert the
    ISO9660 file into a bootable CD. You'll need a blank CD or DVD,
    to do the burning.

    That would be for the purpose of proving the computer can run
    an OS for a while. This is called "booting an alternative OS".

    The Kaspersky page, also describes how to prepare a USB stick for
    booting. I'd try the CD way first.

    That CD is actually for antivirus scanning, and it can get an update
    of the virus definitions, if the laptop was connected to an already
    working broadband modem and router. (The CD only knows how to use
    DHCP to get an IP address from the modem and router. The CD does
    not support dialup networking.)

    An alternate kind of test media, would be the disk test from the
    disk manufacturer. Turn off the laptop, remove the big battery,
    and remove the hard drive cover plate. Look at the brand of drive
    present in the bay. It could be Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba,
    Hitachi and so on. Then, go to the web site of the named company
    and download a diagnostic. There may be a CD version available.
    Note that, these don't always work. The one for my current motherboard,
    won't boot. So don't be surprised if this doesn't work. If it did,
    you could actually run a diagnostic on the hard drive, and determine
    if the hard drive was healthy. In some cases, the diagnostic uses
    a copy of FreeDOS and sets up a RAM Disk to hold decompressed utilities.

    *******

    My immediate reaction to your symptoms, is it is not the processor.
    You can see the welcome screen, and you can't "draw" a welcome screen
    without a processor. Could the processor get too hot, because the fan
    is jammed with dirt or hair ? Yes. Could other parts of the laptop
    overheat ? Yes, it could happen. If you take the machine to a shop,
    they'll likely try to hit you up for a $300 motherboard.

    I see no reason to immediately suspect the hard drive, but if you
    can get the diagnostic running, you'll be in a better position to
    judge that for yourself.

    The 200MB Kaspersky CD can do an AV scan for you, if you thought
    that was the issue.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2011

  3. Cyn M

    Cyn M Guest

    Thank you so much for the quick response. I have tried the CD that
    came with my Computer to recover the system but it doesn't do
    anything. And your right, I took it in to Staples and they told me
    they would need to me they would need to send it in because he has no
    idea at the moment what was wrong with it so it would run around $400
    dollars and then they could hopefully fix it. He mentioned a new
    motherboard which is why I wanted to ask and see if there was anything
    I could try first. I am going to look into the ideas you have posted.
    Thanks again :)

    Cyn M, Sep 6, 2011
  4. Cyn M

    AtariKSI

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Edison, NJ
    I have seen it happen on the Thinkpads (T20 series, A20 series) where it stops boot-up on the logo screen and none of the function keys work either to select a different boot-up device. Main cause there was traced to corrupted flash bios. Unfortunately, it wasn't a socketed chip so you had to reflash the bios by soldering some wires on the chip.

    Try inserting a working flash bios chip (if it's easily doable). I also have a gateway 2000 but it's an old one where almost everything is socketed. Another cause can be corrupted keyboard controller since BIOS tests keyboard and reprograms it and waits for acknowledgements on every command (especially on the older style ps/2 type keyboards).

    AtariKSI, Sep 11, 2011