Not sure if my USB2.0 drivers are installed in WinXP SP1 (P4C800ed)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kwake, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Kwake

    Kwake Guest

    Hi,

    Looking at my device manager, it shows the following (with 6 USB ports
    enabled with high speed turned on in the BIOS):

    Intel(R) 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    Intel(R) 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    Intel(R) 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    I've downloaded and installed the latest chipset .inf drivers from Intel
    and was under the impression that WinXP SP1 should take care of the rest,
    when in comes to USB 2.0 drivers.

    Isn't it supposed to show a USB 2.0 Root Hub if all is well? I'm not
    positive that my USB 2.0 Canon Scanner is getting true USB 2.0 speed, and
    that it may be communicating at 1.1. Is there a way to test this?

    Thanks in advance for any feedback,
    Kwake

    Kwake, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Kwake

    GC Guest

    My first one said
    Inter(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host controller -24CD
    rest are about the same
    Running SP1 Did not install the latest .inf drivers

    Gary

    GC, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Kwake

    Sarah Guest

    my device manager looks the same, anyone knows how it should look like
    wten
    usb 2 is properly installed ???

    thanks

    sarah

    Sarah, Nov 2, 2003
  4. If the "enhanced" entry shows up, then you're using USB 2.0. It should be
    recognizing the precise device model, but that's just cosmetics. You can
    probably make it do that by doing an Update Driver on the "Standard Enhanced
    PCI to USB Host Controller" entry and telling it to search for the best
    driver. That shouldn't affect the operation, however.

    Robert Hancock, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Kwake

    Kwake Guest

    Robert, you were right on the money - strange thing is that I'm pretty
    sure I tried updating the driver for the Enhanced Entry and recall getting
    "Windows could not find a better driver than the one it has".

    After reading your post this time though - low and behold - it's magic!

    You should change your name to Houdini or Blaine. :eek:)

    Cheers,
    Kwake

    Kwake, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Kwake

    LK Guest

    Go to the device manager in Windows and delete the entry that shows:

    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

    Reinstall the Intel INF files and in device manager look for hardware
    changes.

    It should now show up like the rest of the controllers. The rest of
    them look fine.

    LK, Dec 27, 2003