    turn). Can I assume it's a bad PS? If not and it's the CPU, why isn't the PS
    fan turning?

    Amol

    Amol, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Amol

    rstlne Guest

    It's probably the PSU
    The wires in the PSU will get hot and smell before the units shut down (not
    a good thing)
    I would quit trying to turn it on cause it may have done damage to the
    motherboard/other and every time you try you might give a spike that could
    damage something..
    my guess is 99.9% on PSU

    rstlne, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Amol

    Bob M Guest

    PSU.

    Bob
    --
    Takeoff is an option.
    Landing is a must!

    And in the end on wheels we will depend.

    Bob M, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Amol

    Amol Guest

    How can you rule out a a bad motherboard? The case power switch signals the
    mobo, which in turn signals the PSU to power on, right? So if the mobo is
    bad, then the PSU will never get the signal.

    How can I isolate the problem?

    Amol, Jul 17, 2004
  5. Amol

    rstlne Guest

    The Smell..

    rstlne, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Amol

    Ben Pope Guest

    ....relay that signal yourself?

    Disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and connect pins 14 and 15 of the
    PSU plug - it should light up. Be sure to get the correct pins, and to not
    touch any other pins.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 18, 2004
  7. For curiousity, what kind of MB do you have? I had something similar
    happen to me last year. Turned out the caps on the ECS K7VTA3 MB were
    leaking, causing the CPU voltages to go flaky on the MB. Eventually,
    the P/S got all hot and bothered. Ended up with a dead MB, dead CPU,
    and dead P/S. Turns out ECS has a rep for bad caps on some of their
    boards. Mine was out of warranty, of course.

    As others have mentioned, do NOT try turning it back on until you have a
    better idea of what is actually wrong. That may do even more damage to
    components that have not yet been killed. My first guess would be power
    supply, without knowing all of the specs and details. If you have
    another P/S known to be good, try it. Also check the P/S, CPU fan, case
    fan, vent holes, etc. to make sure they're not plugged up with dust.

    David L. Cottrell, Jul 19, 2004
  8. Amol

    Mohap Guest

    Its an Asus A7v