    512K??

    Thanks for answering my past questions.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 1, 2005

  2. MB_

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    If you're happy with 256MB, you may as well stick with it. However, as you
    add software to your computer, you may find yourself increasingly happy with
    your computer's performance. Also, you can't tell now what activities you'll
    be into over the next few years that may require more memory. And consider
    this: If you are entertaining the idea of one day upgrading to Vista, you
    know it's going to be happier with more memory.

    It's your call. Me, I'd settle for a lame-ass video card and get more
    memory. (I don't play 3D games.)

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 1, 2005

  3. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Ted:

    I can always upgrade later.

    I've added s-ware to my desktop and so far I'm still happy. I'm not heavy
    into gaming, videos, or audios.

    I guess I am really asking this: Is there something special about the
    nature of a notebook that makes it require more memory??

    (BTW, pardon my ignorance... but what is Vista??)

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 1, 2005
  4. MB_

    BR549 Guest

    Vista will be Microsoft's next OS to replace XP. I like you only have 256mb
    and am quite pleased with my Compaq. There is nothing special about a
    laptop with the exception of many of them using integrated video and
    utilizing part of the ram for it but then again there are many desktops that
    do the same.

    BR549, Sep 1, 2005
  5. MB_

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Hey my friend, I'm not here to fight with you. If you're happy with 256MB, what do you care what the rest of the world thinks? You're the one who has to live with your decision.

    BTW, compare the cost of replacement RAM for your computer with the cost of adding the same amount of RAM at initial purchase.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 2, 2005
  6. MB_

    tlai909 Guest

    With memory so cheap, what is the argument? 512Mb should be the
    minimum. 256Mb is only right for bargain basement <$500 laptops.

    Also with integrated video cards you lose a bit off the top... maybe
    you may end up with 224, 240Mb of mem...

    T.

    tlai909, Sep 2, 2005
  7. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Yep, thanks. I did end up going with the 512 MB

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 2, 2005
  8. MB_

    Dan Guest

    I heard 640k would be enough for anybody

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 12, 2005
  9. MB_

    S.Lewis Guest