Notebook keyboards ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by no.top.post, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. no.top.post

    no.top.post Guest

    This query perhaps applies to desktop-PC keyboards too.

    My notebook's 3 keys on the left botton: Ctrl, Alt, Fn started getting
    unreliable and then failed. When I opened it up, I saw, as expected
    that these 3 keys are the only ones on one of the 'ribbon's tracks'.
    So obviously if the continuity was broken after the key closest to the
    connector, then all 3 keys would fail.

    But what I'm realy interest to know is what technology is used ?
    Is it galvanic [actual contact] or capacitive ?
    The 2 transparent plastic-sheets with the tracks 'meeting' at the
    'key-points' are 'sealed together' so I can't see/feel what's inside,
    at the actual 'key-points'.

    If the key-press causes the top-sheet's track to connect with the
    bottom-sheet's track, then what keeps them apart when no key
    is pressed ?

    The one plastic track-sheet, mounts against an aluminum plate
    which might be relevant if capacative-pulsing is used.

    Thanks for any explantion/s on the workings of this strange thing.

    no.top.post, Oct 6, 2009

  2. no.top.post

    Paul Guest

    Try classifying the keyboard using this article. Based on
    what I see here, the pattern where the conductors meet,
    may tell you something.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 6, 2009

  3. no.top.post

    david Guest

    The old IBM buckling-spring keyboard is the best one I ever used. I
    still have my old IBM-PC keyboard, one of these days I'll make up an
    adapter to map the old keycodes and format into the AT(PS2) standard,
    just haven't had time to get around to it.

    david, Oct 6, 2009
  4. no.top.post

    no.top.post Guest

    Wow, that's good, thanks !
    wikipedia has got everty thing, and google didn't show me.

    no.top.post, Oct 7, 2009