    Presario X1000 series. It looks like most models have dropped the parallel
    port, and many have dropped infrared support. If anyone knows any other
    models that meet this criteria, please tell me.

    Steven M. Scharf, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Check out the PowerPro M 5:14 at
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/PowerPro/m5-14.php

    I believe the notebook that has what you want would cost about $1500 +
    shipping. I don't have one of these machines, but this notebook is made by
    Compal (a reputable Taiwanese company) and sold by Power Notebooks.com,
    which has a good reputation too.

    Bastler

    George T Merriman, Sep 25, 2004

  3. George T Merriman, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I've heard of Compal (visited their
    HQ in Taiwan actually).

    I decided to get the Compaq X1000, for $1484, as it was less expensive
    than the equivalent spec powernotebook (through Costco.com) and Costco
    has the best return policy of any computer vendor in case I don't like
    it.

    Also looked at the Toshiba Tecra M2-S730, which was $150 more, but is
    1.5# lighter. Tough choice, but the X1000 was available with a higher
    resolution screen, and I do a lot of detail work of schematic and PCB
    layout reviews, where the higher resolution will be useful.

    Steven Scharf, Sep 28, 2004