Notrebook won't boot unless I m pushing on memory chips

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    My Dell Inspiron 5000e suddenly stopped booting up. It wouldn't even
    get to the point of trying to load from hard drive, CD, or floppy.

    I stumbled upon the fact that it would work if I am pushing on the
    memorychips. I have to put a fair amount of force on it--I don't think
    it is simply a matter of making a better connection. I've tried
    removing and reinserting the chips several times without improvement.

    Any idea what is going on? I wonder if there could possibly be
    anything wrong with the memory itself (but if so, would pushing on
    them change this). Could there be some fixable problem in the
    connections with the memory? As I have to push fairly hard, I even
    wonder if it is possible that what I'm really doing to get it to work
    is pushing on something behind the memory and making a connection
    which is loose. Is there anything behind the memory so that this could
    apply?

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Ron Chusid

    John Doue Guest

    Well, makes me think memory is not the issue. By pushing on the memory,
    you are probably flexing the mobo in some way and making a loose of
    broken connection work. Look very closely at what happens when you push
    in the memory, while NOT trying to boot up. Be very wary of connectors
    between the main board and other items, not being familiar with your
    machine, I would not know which. Use a magnifyer. Doing this allowed
    make to discover a broken soldering that was making the LED's of my
    laptop acts unpredictably.

    Don't over do it with the memory pushing, you might create another problem.

    Good luck and let us know.

    John Doue, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    That sounds likely that I'm making a broken connection work. Fixing
    that is beyond what I feel comfortable trying. Do you think this is
    the type of thing a local repair shop might be able to do as opposed
    to replacing expensive parts?

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Ron Chusid

    John Doue Guest

    Don't give up before trying. First, try to locate the problem. If you
    don't find it or if, once found, you decide you cannot fix it, head for
    a local computer store, preferably a small outfit that catters to people
    who build their own machines. They might be at first reluctant to
    attempt the repair, but if you are willing to accept that they might
    fail to fix it, or worse... Knowing exactly what the problem is, should
    you find it, will decrease your cost and give you an edge. Let us know
    the outcome, I am curious.

    John Doue, Mar 1, 2004