Novice help! board does not boot up not even display video

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nanjil, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    hello:

    I just built a system with asus p4c800-E delux

    the system contained

    2 - kingston hyperx 512k p4000 memory
    2 - samsung 120 Gn sata drives
    1 - msi 5900xt video card
    1 - intel 3.0C (prescott) processor)
    floppy
    dvd drives

    when I power it up the green light on the board comes on. but I get no
    video output.
    neigther do I get any diagnostic sound through the speakers.

    I removed one of the kingston sticks and powered up. still I got the
    same behavior.

    Am I ready to blame the mother board?

    Or should I try with another brand of memory?

    am I overlooking any jumper settings (I did not see any quick start
    guide < i just slogged through the manual - may be I ovelooking
    something)

    why don't I get any sound through the diagnostic speakers?

    thanx a lot guys

    nanjil, Apr 12, 2004

  2. nanjil

    Rivergoat Guest

    Is the BIOS set for the right kind of video card (PCI or AGP)?

    Is sound set in the BIOS?

    Rivergoat, Apr 12, 2004

  3. nanjil

    Paul Guest

    Did you plug in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ? You need both the
    20 pin connector and that square 4 pin connector installed at the
    same time. The 2x2 connector carries the +12V needed by the processor
    Vcore circuit, and the board won't start without it. The 2x2
    connector comes on more recent ATX power supplies.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 12, 2004
  4. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    actually I did not plug it in. now I came back and plugged it in. I stil am
    getting the same behavior. no video and no diagnostic sound from the speaker

    nanjil, Apr 12, 2004
  5. nanjil

    Lil' Dave Guest

    You're going to have to eliminate some things. Pull the SATA and PATA
    device cables off, and the power to them. Same with floppy. Reset the cmos
    at least once if it still doesn't work.

    Lil' Dave, Apr 12, 2004
  6. nanjil

    Paul Guest

    Turn off power to the computer and remove the video card. Plug in an
    amplified speaker, or your stereo, into the motherboard lime colored
    Line_out audio jack. Turn on the computer and listen for the
    Voice POST message "System Failed VGA Test". This will indicate
    that part of the motherboard is working, and the computer is capable
    of determining there is no video card present.

    Turn off the power again. Re-insert the video card and connect a
    drive power cable to the video card. Turn on the computer and
    press the "On" button. If you get no response, but the green LED
    is lit, it could be the motherboard burnout prevention circuit
    is not working, or the video card is defective.

    Note - just like the motherboard and its 2x2 +12V power connector,
    the video card takes a 1x4 pin drive power cable to get its
    extra power.

    Report what you find...

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 12, 2004
  7. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    hello guys this surely is driving me nuts.

    1. I exhanged the mboard ic7-max3 . But I have exactly the ame problem
    i.e no video output and no diagnostic sound

    2. I did the follwoing experiments

    1. removed the video card and replaced it with my old working card
    2. pulled out all teh sata drives
    3. pulled out th efloppy
    4. pulled out the dvd drive

    with the new abit I get the exactly same behavior. powers on with the abit
    if keep the power swithc pressed it shuts down.

    The only other thing I can thing of is that I have a transperent case and
    the mboard is mounted on stand offs. some of the stand offs are tstraing to
    align to the board. can the standoffs damge the board trace?

    thanx a lot

    nanjil, Apr 13, 2004
  8. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    to be complete , I also changed teh memory to a known and working centon
    512K pc 2700 memory. Again no change in the final result

    nanjil, Apr 13, 2004
  9. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    one more experiment to rule out whether the problems is due to case

    I removed the board from the case. with only cpu and memory fired it up on
    the test bench (test bench = anti static bag). I got the exactly same
    behavior as before ; powers up but no video, no diagnostic sound.

    so far only thing i have not touched is the cpu. is the cpu at fault?

    nanjil, Apr 13, 2004
  10. nanjil

    TomG Guest

    try powering it up out of the case. you have *both* the main ATX power and
    the AUX ATX power connected to the board?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 13, 2004
  11. nanjil

    Arnie Berger Guest

    Actually, you haven't checked the most obvious and most important
    component, the processor. There are 4 things to check:

    1- Is it oriented properly when inserted in the mobo?
    2- Are there any bent pins that didn't get socketed?
    3- Are the power supply voltages correct at the pins of the processor?
    4- Is the heat sink and fan properly connected to the cpu, socket and
    fan power connector?

    All but #3 are easy to check. To check #3 you'll need to turn it on
    out of the case and get a data sheet to show you where the power pins
    are located. Then you can check it with a DVM. If you've never done
    this, then forget about this test.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, Apr 13, 2004
  12. nanjil

    DaveL Guest

    Don't power it up on an anti-static bag. Those are often conductive to some
    degree. Do you get any beeps? Is the speaker connected? It won't play
    through the multimedia speakers. You have to connect the little case
    speaker to the supplied pins on the board by the other case connections.
    Have you tried clearing the cmos?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 13, 2004
  13. nanjil

    Arnie Berger Guest

    Good points. When I turn on a board for the first time the board is
    sitting on a wooden workbench. I have the keyboard attached, the power
    supply, and an old PCI video card. Nothing else. I also have the
    processor set up and one memory stick. That's all. If I see some video
    and the processor starts to boot, then I know I can install it in the
    case and begin the complete set-up process.

    ab

    Arnie Berger, Apr 15, 2004
  14. nanjil

    Capman Guest

    Is there a switch or something along those lines that needs to be
    jumpered? I thought I saw a guy at a PC store jump a couple of pins to
    allow the power to be applied. It seemed like it was simulating
    hooking up the power switch to the case while the motherboard was
    laying on the bench.

    Capman, Apr 15, 2004
  15. nanjil

    Rob Guest

    The pins indicated in the manual for the ATX Power Switch need to be
    jumped momentarily. Be certain you have the correct pins as you don't
    want to feed the +5 volts where it shouldn't go! Make sure the board is
    on wood or cardboard, to insulate it.

    Rob, Apr 15, 2004
  16. nanjil

    nanjil Guest

    actually the processor was bad. I just replaced with anyother processor and
    now the hardware booted up.

    but now I am struggling to instlal windows xp - that is another story
    I have already stared a thread on raid installation

    nanjil, Apr 17, 2004