Novice wants to upgrade to a P4P800 Deluxe and needs advice

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BuckeyeRed, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. BuckeyeRed

    BuckeyeRed Guest

    I would like to upgrade my PC on my own if it is not to complex, I
    will take any advice get.
    I have changed hard drives, memory, burners and other simple things
    but I have never attempted
    anything like a motherboard and processor.
    I currently have a ECS P4VMM motherboard with a Intel p4 1.6
    processor.
    I have two 256mb 184-pin DIMM DDR PC2100 memory.
    I have two 60gig maxtor hard drives and one 200gig western digital. I
    run winxp home.
    I would like to upgrade the board and processor and need suggestions
    on what to get and how difficult it is to set up. Hardware wise I can
    do it but if there are jumpers or a lot of changes that have to be
    made in the bios I would be shakey at doing it without some advice.
    I have been looking at the asus P4P800 Deluxe
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=13-131-450
    and it gets good reviews at newegg along with the Intel Pentium 4 /
    2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-116-161&DEPA=1
    is this a good combo? is there anything else I need to order with
    them?

    Thanks
    Tim

    BuckeyeRed, Oct 21, 2003

  2. BuckeyeRed

    Ed Jay Guest

    Great combo...I just did the same thing. The set up is trivial.
    Literally a plug and play situation. Put it all together properly and
    turn it on. Unless you're going to overclock it, there's little worry
    about tinkering with the BIOS (software).

    You will want to upgrade your memory to DDR400.

    Have fun.

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

    Ed Jay, Oct 21, 2003

  3. BuckeyeRed

    BoB Guest

    None of your stuff is really compatible with the new mobos supporting
    that cpu, especially the ram.
    Bang for the buck, I would try to get a refurbed raid ide mobo from newegg
    with a via 333 or 400 chipset. The amd 2400 is only 77$ oem! It'll
    almost keep up with that Intel for 172$ and will with that memory.
    To really take advantage of the P4P800 Deluxe you'll need to upgrade
    memory, power supply/case and hard drives! Figure a grand for starters.

    BoB, Oct 21, 2003
  4. You'll need pc3200 memory for 800 fsb cpu.

    Nobody_of_Consequence, Oct 21, 2003
  5. BuckeyeRed

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    This is more in response to some dubious advice, from another "Bob".
    While switching to an AMD system might be a good idea, the reasons
    presented are not all valid.

    (I have a P4P800 non-Deluxe.)

    If the OP (original poster) is already running all that stuff on his
    current P4 power supply, it may well be adequate for the new system.
    (It'll at least be an ATX 12V supply, which is the main requirement.) I
    doubt that the case would be a problem.

    It would be possible to set the BIOS of a P4P800D to a memory multiplier
    that would support the PC2100 DDR, while using an 800 MHz CPU. (It would
    show up up in the BIOS settings as 266 MHz. There'd be a performance
    loss, but it should work.) However, I recommend buying the PC3200 memory.

    The hard drives ought to be fine. Between the 865PE's native IDE
    controller and the third-party parallel ATA RAID built onto the board
    (which doesn't have to be used for RAID), you'll have lots of IDE
    channels. You won't need to use the two SATA ports on the mainboard (and
    you'd probably see little performance advantage if you did, in this SATA
    generation).

    The OP didn't describe his graphics adapter, but the P4P800 requires a
    1.5V card. I think that it has protection circuitry that may prevent
    damage if a 3.3V card is used, but I believe that the system won't boot
    with one.

    I suggest downloading and studying the manual for the board:

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/e1323_p4p800_deluxe.pdf

    There may not be much point in buying the Asus board over the equivalent
    Intel product if there is no intention to overclock.

    If you feel lucky, get the P4 2.6c instead of the 2.8c, overclock it to
    3.25 GHz. (Raise the CPU core voltage a tad - an 0.025V increase will
    make it the same as a retail 3.2 GHz P4.) The price difference will
    partially make up for having to buy PC3200 DDR. (Run that at a 5:4
    multiplier to keep it in-spec, and lock the AGP/PCI frequencies at 66/33
    MHz.) PC4000 is coming on the market, but I believe that none of it is
    certified at that speed.

    But, most important-

    Have fun.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered to avoid spam. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 21, 2003
  6. First, be careful. Buy an anti-static strap and educate yourself about
    the sort of thing you're going to be doing. It's not rocket science to
    swap out a motherboard, but nobody likes it when they break something
    out of carelessness.

    A quick google for "changing motherboard guide" gave me a few links that
    might be of interest:

    http://www.directron.com/mbinstallation.html
    http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/how-to-guides/35_1.html
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

    It's a fine combination. A few notes:

    - It's generally a good idea to check your RAM before embarking on an
    adventure like this. Go to www.memtest86.org and leave it running
    overnight. If there are no errors in the morning, you're good to go.
    If there are errors, isolate them to a single DIMM and get the DIMM
    replaced.

    - If you buy the OEM CPU, you'll need a heatsink and fan. The retail
    CPU will come with a heatsink and fan in the box. The retail box also
    has a longer warranty, so it's a better deal in general if you're not
    planning on using an aftermarket heatsink (people who like very quiet
    PCs tend to dislike the Intel retail fans).

    - You can continue to use your old RAM, but you will see a modest
    performance increase by upgrading to PC3200. If you don't play games
    and obsess about frame rate counts, it will make little difference to
    you.

    - Your current motherboard is microATX. The P4P800 Deluxe is not. Make
    sure your case can handle the larger board.

    - Your current motherboard uses a VIA chipset, while the P4P800 has an
    Intel chipset. That means that XP may not boot when you swap boards,
    because the IDE drivers are not compatible. There's an easy fix for
    this: boot from your XP Home CD and select the repair option. This
    will go through the hardware redetection process and fix things up.
    You'll have to reinstall Service Packs, patches and OEM device drivers
    after the repair, but it sure beats a clean install.

    Good luck...
    Not so. I have a P4P800 running a P4 2.4C at 800MHz FSB with PC2100 at
    133MHz DDR.

    Max Attar Feingold
    maf6 at cornell dot edu
    http://almonaster.sourceforge.net/mfeingol/

    Not speaking for my employer

    Max Attar Feingold, Oct 21, 2003
  7. BuckeyeRed

    BoB Guest

    We just built two "top of the line" asus boxes with dual channel
    ram, one with a AMD 3200, another with a P4-3000.
    Neither was as fast as I had hoped, systems built at the "sweet spot",
    with amd 2400's & 2600's have given much better value.
    Both of the top of the line boxes used striped raptors, they
    were fast, still don't see all the "fuss" about HT tho. That box locks up
    more than any of them.
    We build a lot of computers. Last 20 or so have been AMD,
    since our amd xp 1700 ran circles around the P4 1600/rambus.
    Impressed with a benchmark we gave the P4 another chance.
    My amd 2600/333 running single channel 333 cas 2 ram on a via 400 asus board
    gives the "top of the line" combos a run for their money
    at much less than half the cost.
    I've got $1500 tied up in two boxes linked with a kvm switch and they
    can multitask better than any single cpu box and I can burn 2, 4x dvd's at a
    time, vbg. What's dubious is spending $300 to upgrade a computer and still
    have "bottlenecks" to slow you down.

    BoB, Oct 21, 2003
  8. BuckeyeRed

    sheer Guest

    Just built a system with the Asus P4C800E with 2.8 P4 800 and dual 3200 ram
    It is a quality build in all components and cost was high.

    This was the first Intel system I have built, always been an AMD man.

    To best compare AMD to Intel is Unleaded to Diesel.

    I needed the torque not so much the speed and the Intel is my choice for
    that. I have set up with Digital TV PCI card, record TV etc, and runs a
    quality sound system ( using a 7.1 M-Audio soundcard), basically the system
    is the centre/brains of my entertainment system.

    It worked first go and only grip was the ATI drivers that come with the
    9600pro videocard. Once updated all ok. Had always been a NVIDIA man.

    Not one lockup but I am not a gamer so I don't push the hardware only when
    video editing which is a good test for any build.

    Could not recommend this motherboard enough, only the new 64 bit stable
    machines of the future will offer better.
    Provided you use quality components consider the P4C800E.

    sheer, Oct 21, 2003
  9. BuckeyeRed

    BoB Guest

    My buddy has been pushing the envelope with the P4 3000 and
    the Asus P4C800E in regards to multitasking/hyperthreading!
    He's kinda wondering why he spent so much money!
    Video editing is heavily dependent upon cpu raw speed and
    memory bandwidth. Intel leads there for now, the amd64 is changing
    that slowly. The Barton's performance ratings were exaggerated.
    I still think the early 8KB/L1 P4's were POS's.

    BoB, Oct 21, 2003
  10. BuckeyeRed

    BuckeyeRed Guest

    I like the idea of saving money so I would consider the amd. What
    board exactly would you recommend? And would I notice a difference
    over my current setup?
    I have no video board, I use the one on my current board, would I need
    to get one? If so what is a cheap recommendation?

    Thanks for everyones help and advise

    Tim

    BuckeyeRed, Oct 22, 2003