    order a G5 and would in a minute if I didn't have a legacy app that
    requires OS9. Wish Apple wasn't quite so cynically manipulative about
    this issue...

    John S. Etnier, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Including the 17 inch laptop announced at the beginning of the year ?

    I thought that was OSX only...

    Larry Kilgallen, Jun 24, 2003

  3. John S. Etnier

    Stan The Man Guest

    That can only mean that Apple have taken a hit from diehard Os 9 users
    refusing to upgrade to X-only machines. Even when Quark 6 ships there
    will still be plenty who find Os X just too slow and clunky - so watch
    out for the announcement of dual booting 12in and 17in PBs too.

    When finally Apple delivers hardware which can run its behemoth new Os
    with the same snap that characterises Os 9, maybe finally Jobs can keep
    his promises. Meanwhile, Apple is a snake and will do anything to get
    your money - including lying to its customers.

    Stan

    Stan The Man, Jun 25, 2003
  4. No. The existing model G4s have always booted OS9, and continue to do
    so. Nothing changed but a line on the web page. The people who
    interpreted Jobs' statement to mean that existing G4s would be refitted
    to NOT boot OS9 after 1/03 were, simply, stupid.

    The first machines that were OS X-only were the 12" and 17" PowerBooks,
    the first machines introduced after 1/03, and the first with new devices
    that OS 9 would have no clue about.
    Meaning what, that you want them to write OS9 drivers for USB 2.0,
    FireWire 800, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, SATA, and the whole G5
    architecture, when they announced a year ago that new models after 1/03
    wouldn't boot OS9?

    KeS

    Kevin Stevens, Jun 25, 2003
  5. What lies did Apple tell its customers?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Supposedly the 1.42 GHz G4 introduced in January 2003 doesn't boot
    OS9. Anyone able to contradict that? (Same was supposedly also true
    for the two other G4 models introduced in January.)

    Are these models suddenly able to boot OS9 after Jobs's announcement
    this week?? I don't think so.

    In fact it seems that the 1.42 GHz model from January is no longer
    being sold by Apple, probably because it doesn't boot OS9. All I see
    on their G4 page is 1.25 GHz single and dual cpus, which do in fact
    say they boot OS9.

    I assume that so they could say "all G4s" boot OS9, they took the 1.42
    model and other non-OS9 bootables off the market.

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at stanford daht edu, Jun 25, 2003
  7. John S. Etnier

    Thom Rosario Guest

    <whine>
    Deus Ex
    </whine>

    "We really haven't done everything we could to protect our
    customers ... Our products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine, Sr VP in charge of MS Windows' Dev Team

    Thom Rosario, Jun 25, 2003
  8. Apple's been manipulative, but not this time. They didn't add
    anything, they merely removed all the G4s which didn't boot 9. And
    asking them to port a legacy OS to a brand-new processor is a bit
    unreasonable.

    Matthew Russotto, Jun 25, 2003
  9. John S. Etnier

    Peter KERR Guest

    Errm, Apple have done it before, and no doubt will continue to do it,
    issue an undocumented "maintenance release" of the boot rom on an
    existing model, no announcement, no model nr changes.

    First time I recollect this happened was with the LC3 System Starter,
    more recently with indigo slot loader iMacs.

    Pity is, somebody who now has a G4 that won't boot OS9, won't get a
    rebate from Apple....

    Peter KERR, Jun 26, 2003