    by what amount. An can it be set up on a drive with a system allready on it
    like xp corporate. Or would i have to set drive back up with sata then
    install XP ?

    LostSoul, Aug 18, 2003

  2. LostSoul

    BigBadger Guest

    It only increases performance if you use a SATA drive. A standard ATA drive
    will run at the same speed.
    If you install the SATA drivers first, then transfer the drive to the SATA
    controller you should get away without re-installing.

    BigBadger, Aug 18, 2003

  3. LostSoul

    Chi Guest

    with my old epox 8k3a+ mobo and 2 ibm's in raid i get 55000 in sandra but
    with the nf7-s using the 2 sata adpators to raid my ibm's i get 58000 :)

    Chi, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Hell LostSoul, my nick is also LostSoul. I also own a NF7-S. Nice! ;-)

    Robert Ericson, Aug 18, 2003
  5. LostSoul

    AD C Guest

    SATA will only increase performance with a SATA drive, you should be
    able to change the drive over with out reinstalling windows, but
    remember to load in the SATA drivers.

    I onlyu use SATA at the moment, because I got something on all four ATA
    ports at the moment.

    As for what increase you will see even with a SATA drive, is another
    thing, I presume you will get some, but if you will notice or not is
    another thing. I am hoping to ghet a nice 120GB SATA drive in the next
    few months.

    AD C, Aug 19, 2003
  6. LostSoul

    tHatDudeUK Guest

    Only drives currently near using full SATA speeds are the WD Raptor Drives

    tHatDudeUK, Aug 19, 2003
  7. LostSoul

    Skid Guest

    A: You can run RAID 0 with IDE drives on the SATA controller using adapters.
    I'm not sure whether you'd be able to just swap the drives over without
    losing data. Might be best to back them up and format/reinstall.

    B: And here's the beauty part ;>) They should run at least as fast and
    possibly faster on the SATA controller, because it's faster than the NForce2
    IDE controller. Check some reviews and you'll see that even a single IDE
    drive benches marginally higher on SATA.

    Skid, Aug 19, 2003
  8. LostSoul

    AD C Guest

    And i expect they are expensive. Um, I not fond of WD drives, I will
    wait and seee what Seagate ot Maxtor bring out

    AD C, Aug 21, 2003