    want at a variety of big US companies on the crossroads of the
    information superhighway.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

    Alan Browne, Jun 7, 2013

  2. According to Senator Diane Feinstein, this was a routine 3-month extension
    of a program that has been ongoing for seven years.

    Also, it's only metadata that's being collected; content is not being
    collected. Furthermore, it is only being collected; if an intelligence or
    law-enforcement agency wants to analyze any of that data, it has to get a
    warrant specific to the person or persons it's interested in, the time span
    it wants to analyze, and the reasons for wanting the warrant.

    Oh, and as I posted a few minutes ago, Apple denies any knowledge of the
    program.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 7, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Which of course makes it all true. Sleep well Michelle.

    Alan Browne, Jun 7, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Another way: Apple sends the data to the NSA. This allows Apple to state
    that the NSA does not have access to Apple's servers.

    JF Mezei, Jun 7, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    no. what they said was they never heard of 'prism'. that doesn't mean
    they haven't heard of it being called something else.

    Guest, Jun 7, 2013
  6. She will sleep until a Republican becomes President, at which time the
    Republicans who are now squawking about this will begin their siesta.

    Neill Massello, Jun 7, 2013
  7. Many Democrats are also squawking. The program has been going on for seven
    years; guess who was president seven years ago.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 7, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    billy Guest

    All this is nothing new. Here's a pretty good synopsis -

    http://yahoo.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

    And a fairly old specific example -

    https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/att/presskit/ATT_onepager.pdf

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jun 7, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    And I mentioned earlier, the Supremes have noted from 1979 that there
    is no constitutional protection for the metadata.

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 7, 2013
  10. And I mentioned earlier, the Supremes have noted from 1979 that there
    is no constitutional protection for the metadata.[/QUOTE]

    I have no disagreement with that.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 7, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Jun 7, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    billy Guest

    Yes. There was a time when this sort of thing would've been
    vigorously rejected here. Obama is one of the worst in this
    respect - he campaigned opposing it, then when the time came
    to vote (as a senator) on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance
    Act, he flipped and went along with it. Why? You'd have to
    ask him. It's all grown to be much more intrusive, as recent
    disclosures have shown.

    One problem with all this snooping is mistakes are made, from
    errors of omission on up, and that's dangerous to everyone.

    For example -

    Homeland Security gathers 'crap intelligence' and spies on Americans
    http://rt.com/usa/intelligence-fusion-dhs-report-598/

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jun 7, 2013
  13. Alan Browne

    John Albert Guest

    Answer provided courtesy of George Orwell:
    “The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are
    not interested in the good of others; we are interested
    solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or
    happiness: only power, pure power. What pure power means you
    will understand presently. We are different from all the
    oligarchies of the past, in that we know what we are doing.
    All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were
    cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian
    Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they
    never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They
    pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized
    power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just
    round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings
    would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that
    no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing
    it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not
    establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
    one makes the revolution in order to establish the
    dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The
    object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.”

    John Albert, Jun 8, 2013