NTLDR problem not a Windows problem: BIOS Corrupted

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by arnieb, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. arnieb

    arnieb Guest

    Hi,
    I have a GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.0 board. I was in the process of
    recovering from a Win7-64 crash when I got the message, NTLDR Missing.
    I swapped in my old drive with the older, but still working version of
    Windows and I got the same message. Next, I did what I was supposed to
    do and ran the repair/recovery disk with the same result.

    Finally, in desperation, I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS
    reflashed it. That solved the problem. What made me suspicious is that
    I was changing the boot order in the BIOS a number of times to switch
    from my Windows DVD to the hard drive.

    Anyway, what was interesting to me was the BIOS back-up failures:

    First, the corrupted BIOS was not detected,
    Second, the backup BIOS did not take over,
    Third, the error message was misleading and implied a disk problem
    when, in fact, it was a BIOS failure.

    Just wanted to let everyone know about this so you don't sppend 5
    hours on a Sunday going through what I went through.

    Arnie

    arnieb, Oct 3, 2011

  2. Interesting.
    Thanks!

    Paul in Houston TX, Oct 3, 2011

  3. arnieb

    mikeyhsd Guest

    just wondering why you feel the need to switch boot order so much.
    I just leave the dvd as first and with nothing in it the hard drive is picked as next.

    mikeyshd

    mikeyhsd, Oct 3, 2011