    this is normal but I don't know how to fix it, other than resetting the
    bios back to prior settings. Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Midnight, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Midnight

    ICee Guest

    You should not increase speed (or FSB), and then try to boot into XP
    without being sure the system is stable to begin with. More often than
    not, the system will boot fine, but XP puts more of a strain on the
    system than just booting does, and trying to load it will cause problems
    such as you are describing.
    First, put settings back to where you know the system works. Second,
    once the system is back up, run something like Prime95 to test the
    stability of the system. If it doesn't run error free for at least a
    few hours, either reduce the speed of the CPU, or increase the CPU
    voltage and/or the memory voltage (if increased FSB speed), and run
    Prime95 again until it's stable. Once the system is Prime95 stable,
    increase the speed and/or FSB *by small amounts* and run Prime95 again
    to make sure the system is stable, tweaking voltages as necessary.
    You can get Prime95 here:
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

    ICee, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Midnight

    Doughnut Guest

    Relax your ram timings, i usually get that error when ive got the settings
    to tight, should be ok depending on the brand 8,3,3,2.5/3.0 in my
    experience.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Midnight

    Doughnut Guest

    Forgot to add, try upping the vcore a notch or two as long as your temps are
    not to high.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Midnight

    QBall Guest

    Ph*cked hard drive.

    QBall, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Midnight

    Jon Back Guest

    doubt that there is anything wrong with the hard drive (unless you don't
    change your FSB back down and keep rebooting or try reinstalling or fixing
    XP while still overclocked)
    You have exceeded the capacity of the IDE bus and drive electronics. I've
    experienced the "ntoskrnl" error myself because of it.
    The NF7-S may have AGP/PCI lock (since it is an NForce board) so that could
    help.
    and, btw, adjusting the RAM timings is generally a waste of time. The gains
    are minimal to negligible.

    JonB

    Jon Back, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Midnight

    QBall Guest

    Bullshit - it's sweet FA to do with the o/c.
    I know these things.
    Trust me - it's a ph*cked HDD.
    Jon - fancy putting your money where your mouth is ?
    Let's make it interesting - say UKP 50.00 ?
    Got a Paypal account ?
    Hehe

    QBall, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Midnight

    Eric Parker Guest

    QBall

    Exactly the same happened to me.
    I pushed the overclocking too far - got the ntoskrnl error.
    Wound it back and it went away.
    Didn't have replace/reformat/re-install.

    eric

    Eric Parker, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Midnight

    NAF Guest

    I don't think you understand NF2, Jon.
    The PCI bus is locked, so IDE is unaffected by o/c'ing.
    NTOS error indicates boot-sector bad sectors.

    NAF, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Midnight

    NAF Guest

    I doubt it.

    NAF, Feb 23, 2004
  11. Midnight

    Eric Parker Guest

    Eric Parker, Feb 23, 2004
  12. Midnight

    A. Paris Guest

    Hello! From what I know, ntoskrnl is the boot screen XP uses. Sounds like
    data corruption due to bad oc but anythings possible. My 2 cents.
    Adam

    A. Paris, Feb 23, 2004
  13. Midnight

    CiRcUiT Guest

    Yeah the PCI bus is locked BUT the memory timings he was
    using are causing it to have read errors. Remember,
    EVERYTHING goes through memory.

    There is a reason a computer is called a SYSTEM. One
    component can and will effect the others.

    If you don't get it after this explanation I'm not going to
    waste my typing anymore on the tread... ;)
    --
    ttyl,

    CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

    *This message represents the official opinions of the voices
    in my head*

    | I don't think you understand NF2, Jon.
    | The PCI bus is locked, so IDE is unaffected by o/c'ing.
    | NTOS error indicates boot-sector bad sectors.
    |

    | | > doubt that there is anything wrong with the hard drive
    (unless you don't
    | > change your FSB back down and keep rebooting or try
    reinstalling or fixing
    | > XP while still overclocked)
    | > You have exceeded the capacity of the IDE bus and drive
    electronics. I've
    | > experienced the "ntoskrnl" error myself because of it.
    | > The NF7-S may have AGP/PCI lock (since it is an NForce
    board) so that
    | could
    | > help.
    | > and, btw, adjusting the RAM timings is generally a waste
    of time. The
    | gains
    | > are minimal to negligible.
    | >
    | > JonB

    message

    2500+, Abit NF7-S
    Digital HD, LiteOn DVD
    | &
    well, no hitches.
    | of
    | issues.
    Voltage to 1.75. Now
    reboots and initially
    processor. However, when

    CiRcUiT, Feb 23, 2004
  14. Midnight

    CiRcUiT Guest

    ntoskrnl is the loader of the core components for the OS in
    XP/NT.
    --
    ttyl,

    CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

    *This message represents the official opinions of the voices
    in my head*

    | | > I don't think you understand NF2, Jon.
    | > The PCI bus is locked, so IDE is unaffected by o/c'ing.
    | > NTOS error indicates boot-sector bad sectors.

    message
    | > > change your FSB back down and keep rebooting or try
    reinstalling or
    | fixing
    | > > XP while still overclocked)
    | > > You have exceeded the capacity of the IDE bus and
    drive electronics.
    | I've
    | > > experienced the "ntoskrnl" error myself because of it.
    | > > The NF7-S may have AGP/PCI lock (since it is an NForce
    board) so that
    | > could
    | > > help.
    | > > and, btw, adjusting the RAM timings is generally a
    waste of time. The
    | > gains
    | > > are minimal to negligible.
    | > >
    | > > JonB

    message

    CiRcUiT, Feb 23, 2004
  15. Midnight

    NAF Guest

    ntoskrnl is Windows' kernel.
    NT - as in Win XP = Win NT 5.1
    OS - op. system
    KRNL - kernel

    Not entirely sure what you mean by the bootscreen it uses.
    It's a system file that's loaded early in the XP boot sequence - displayed
    if command-line display is selected at boot-time.

    NAF, Feb 23, 2004
  16. Midnight

    Midnight Guest

    Thanks to all who helped with this slight problem. Sorry it took my a
    couple of days before getting back here to reply, however got to busy
    with school and work :(.

    First off, I am up and running. I did relax my memory timings to
    2-3-3-8 as that was the optimal setting for my motherboard. As of right
    now I am back to my original settings for my 2500+, of 166MHz FSB and
    1.65 Vcore. Later today I am going to try to overclock again but
    starting slow. But a few questions first: From the feedback I got I
    understand that this process must take several days if not a week to
    achieve the peak results. Meaning, for me 200FSB and stable. Per your
    directions I have downloaded prime95 to test stability. My question is
    this: after each bump of FSB and VCore how long my I run prime95 before
    continuing to the next bump? Also, if temps are OK(no more that 60C) is
    there a danger in raising the VCore to high?

    Also, some questioned that maybe that my HD was screwed. If it is, are
    there any symptoms to ascertain this, or just by being able to boot and
    run programs mean that it is OK? Also, I ran Norton Utilities on HD and
    it encountered no errors.

    Midnight, Feb 24, 2004
  17. Midnight

    Jon Back Guest

    Contrary to the QBall post (I didn't take him up on his bet), your HD is
    fine.
    Before playing with any more FSB settings, be sure to enable the AGP/PCI
    lock feature your motherboard should have. It probably isn't turned on as a
    default setting.

    Once the bus speeds are protected, you can bump up the FSB 5 mhz at a time.
    You are wasting your time tweaking the latency settings on your DDR. Many
    people have documented just how little benefit there is. Your biggest gains
    will always come from FSB increases. Run Prime95 for 30 minutes minimum
    before going up another 5 mhz. Take notes. Take notes. Take notes. When you
    become unstable, then you'll know what to drop the FSB back to. Then, bump
    up the VCore a small amount, run Prime95, then take the FSB up to where it
    wouldn't go before. You will ultimately find the maximum, but you will be
    risking some system problems when it crashes repeatedly.

    Another word of advice. If you are installing important software, take your
    FSB down to a known stable setting. Once installed, take it back up.
    Crashing during installation of some programs can corrupt the registry.

    JonB - glad to see you back up and stable (for now)

    Jon Back, Feb 25, 2004