Null modem cable and/or adapter for a Mac SE/30 (pref. UK)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by sampsal, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. sampsal

    sampsal Guest

    I've got an old SE/30 that I want to hook up to the Internet. Now the
    machine has no built in Ethernet card (I've looked and the SE/30
    specific ones are like pixie dust) and only has those funky little 8-
    pin serial ports on the back.

    I figured I could just give it a PPP connection from another box IF I
    could find an adapter from the 8-pin port to a normal DB9 male port,
    and then stick a null modem cable between that and another box.

    Do such adapters exist? Are they still sold? In the UK / EU? What
    kinds of speeds can the SE/30's serial port support?

    I found one prebuilt Mini->DB9 female null modem cable (http://
    www.govconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=6503215) but 26
    bucks + shipping + UK duty and VAT make that less attractive.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sampsa

    sampsal, Aug 24, 2007

  2. sampsal

    Mike Guest

    Wow, that brings back memories. The first Mac I had on the net was an
    SE/30. I got an Ethernet card for it, way back when. It still
    works. It's OK for email and newsgroups, forget web browsing.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 24, 2007

  3. sampsal

    Mike Guest

    Wow. Pretty cool. Yep, it's *much* faster serving up web pages than
    rendering them. Gives a whole new meaning to "Can dish it out, but
    can't take it"! LOL!

    BTW, to the OP: there is currently an SE/30 Ethernet card on eBay:

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/Asante-Ethernet-Card-for-Apple-Mac-IIsi-SE-30-NEW_W0
    QQitemZ180151036879QQihZ008QQcategoryZ80061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
    iewItem>

    and an actual SE/30:

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Mac-SE-30_W0QQitemZ150153133632QQihZ005QQcat
    egoryZ80075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 25, 2007
  4. This is in Sweden, but they have a bunch of Ethernet cards for old
    Macs:
    <http://www.macdata.se/?view=list&viewcateg=Nätverk+&+kommunikati
    on&subcat=Ethernet>

    Scroll down to "(060-3500)". It's 250 SEK. Seems they have one (1)
    left in stock.

    Bjarne Bäckström, Aug 25, 2007
  5. Hate to admit it, but not even yours truly is paahfect... I forgot
    the OP's question about null modem cables. You can find the pinouts and
    other tips here: <http://francis.courtois.free.fr/jc1/serial/main.html>

    If you don't want to solder the cables yourself, macdata.se have
    ready-made modem cables for the Mac here:
    <http://www.macdata.se/?view=list&viewcateg=Nätverk+&+kommunikation&su
    bcat=Analoga+modem+%26+ISDN>
    It's article no (C-28H-3), and it's 250 SEK.

    Bjarne Bäckström, Aug 25, 2007
  6. sampsal

    sampsal Guest

    If you don't want to solder the cables yourself, macdata.se have
    Any idea what's at the other end of that cable, a DB9 male port I
    assume into which I can then plug a normal null-modem cable?

    Sampsa

    sampsal, Aug 28, 2007
  7. sampsal

    sampsal Guest

    Ordered both the SE/30 network card (those are damn hard to find) and
    the serial cable. Cheers Bjarne.

    sampsal, Aug 28, 2007
  8. It's a "Mac standard" Mini-DIN 8 pin.

    Bjarne Bäckström, Aug 28, 2007
  9. Glad to help. :) I've bought various Mac stuff from macdata since
    the mid-nineties, and have only good things to say about them.

    Bjarne Bäckström, Aug 28, 2007