    are employed in embedded devices and how many in desktop machines?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Fletcher, Nov 4, 2009

  2. Op Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:14:06 +0100 schreef Mike Fletcher
    The border between these categories is a bit vague. I can imagine desktop
    machines with embedded microprocessors and embedded devices that are part
    of desktop PCs.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, Nov 4, 2009

  3. Not that I have real figures, but AFAIK a BMW 7 has more then 20 MCUs.
    Take all the other car manufactures gives already a huge number of
    MCU.
    The embedded CPU market out-numbers the desktop (i.e. x86) market by
    far (in quantities).

    42Bastian Schick, Nov 4, 2009
  4. Mike Fletcher

    Walter Banks Guest

    Mike,

    In desktop machines alone there are easily a half dozen or more
    embedded processors.

    Keyboards both ends

    Mouse

    power management

    If it is a laptop many rechargeable batteries have one

    Disk drives 1 -3

    High end cars 70-100 embedded processors

    Many cars have desktop sized processors as part of the solution
    Engine controllers (PowerPC's)
    Ford Handsfree controllers and radio voice operated functions run a form of Windows CE

    In terms of processors volume desktops are a small volume less than 1% of the total

    Regards

    Walter..

    Walter Banks, Nov 4, 2009
  5. Mike Fletcher

    ChrisQ Guest

    I read somewhere that total volume in 2008 was over 10 billion embedded
    processors of all types, including fpga's.

    There's at least one in the keyboard of a desktop machine, at least one
    in the hard drive and maybe one or two in other peripherals. Total
    volume in that segment probably in the millions, not billions though.

    Google for more of a breakdown...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Nov 4, 2009
  6. Mike Fletcher

    D Yuniskis Guest

    "marking" sb "marketing"?
    I usually figure 100:1 (embedded:desktop). But, I treat the processors
    that are in desktop machines that are not *the* "main CPU" to also be
    "embedded processors". E.g., the one in my mouse, keyboard, display,
    CD-ROM/DVD, on my SCSI HBA's, etc.

    If you want a better number, look at sales figures for "all processors"
    and subtract the 32/64 bit processors to give you a *rough* figure
    for embedded processors. (DataQuest is your friend) While some
    32/64 bit processors are used in embedded applications, I think
    you'll be able to gauge the approximate magnitude of the "other"
    processor sales compared to the desktop (32/64) sales and be
    *stunned* at the difference!

    D Yuniskis, Nov 4, 2009
  7. Mike Fletcher

    tim.... Guest

    One of the problems here is that a large percentage of processors in
    embedded products aren't manufactured processors that you can go and buy.
    They are simply a processor mask placed within a SoC which is designed to
    meet the needs of one specific product.

    tim

    tim...., Nov 4, 2009
  8. The problem is how to define an embedded system.

    It could be anything from a greetings card playing a melody when
    opened to several 19 inch racks full of x86 multiprocessor boards
    running a dedicated program without a user interface.

    Paul

    Paul Keinanen, Nov 4, 2009
  9. To a very good approximation, _all_ microprocessors are in embedded,
    period. Desktop CPUs are but a barely noticeable fluctuation to the
    overall numbers.

    Hans-Bernhard Bröker, Nov 4, 2009
  10. Mike Fletcher

    pcie-rat

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Denmark
    6.8 billion microprocessors were shipped in 2004 alone.

    The number of PCs, Macintoshes, workstations, servers, minicomputers, and mainframes is less than 1% of the number of embedded CPUs that ship every year.

    4 bit microprocessors still outnumber 8/16/32/64-bit types by an order of magnitude, if I remember correctly.

    pcie-rat, Nov 14, 2009
  11. Mike Fletcher

    pcie-rat

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Denmark
    Oops, the #1 application for 4-bit is watches btw...

    pcie-rat, Nov 14, 2009
  12. Mike Fletcher

    pcie-rat

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Denmark
    The total market for microprocessors today is more than 10 billion USD per year...

    pcie-rat, Nov 14, 2009