    on.

    What am I missing?

    TIA

    Cynthia G, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Cynthia G

    Bill Joy Guest

    XP saves the state of numlock during shutdown and restores it when rebooted.

    Bill Joy, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Thats not completely right.

    XP saves the state *for a user* when he logs off or shutdown the
    computer. This saved state is restored, when the user login into XP.
    As long as the XP-login screen is shown, the state of the numlock is
    off! Just after login the last state is restored.

    (E.g. what should XP do as long as the login-screen is shown, if there
    are 2 user accounts on the machine, one user has enabled and the other
    disabled num lock...).

    I think there is a registry key, which enabled the numlock state on
    login screen. Save this as "numlock.reg" and doubleklick on it:

    ----- numlock.reg -----
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2

    Manuel Fischer, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Cynthia G

    Cynthia G Guest

    Thank you. I found instructions on Kelly's Korner website (can't
    believe I didn't look there first). Since I've nver had the numlock off
    on any of my systems, I thought this was peculiar to this one - never
    occurred to me it might be a common issue.

    Cynthia G, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Erm. There's "peculiar" and there's "peculiar". For those of us
    for whom the AT keyboard was a new-fangled invention, numlock
    *on* is peculiar. Many of us never got into the habit of using
    the "T" cursor keys and the movement key-set that the AT keyboard
    inserted between the asdfjkl; "typewriter" keyboard and the god
    [aka IBM] mandated multi-fuction cursor/number keys. For us,
    numlock on is abominable, and we have spent the time needed to
    set numlock off as the boot-up state in the BIOS on every
    80286-Pentiumwhatever machine we have ever bought/been assigned
    to on our jobs.

    Even in my declining years, it is always a psychic shock when
    have to use someone else's computer [most often either a
    bookkeeper/accounting machine or an engineer's machine] and find
    myself seeing numbers when I hit page down when I open a
    document. "That @_$&*U#_$ idiot has the numlock on."

    ObWinkie: ;->

    Ogden Johnson III, Nov 7, 2004