NV40 to have 222 million transistors

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by NV55, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    "NVIDIA NV40 to have 222 million transistors"
    Posted on Saturday, April 10 2004 @ 18:33:52 CEST by LSDsmurf

    Next week NVIDIA is going to launch its NV40. According to the Inq
    this chip has 222 million transistors. The NV40 is produced by IBM on
    a 130nm architecture. It will use the 60 series of drivers, currently
    60.70.
    As we said before Nvidia will push hard the fact that it is the only
    firm that will have a Pixel Shader 3.0 model on the market and it will
    focus its marketing efforts there. This means that apart from full
    support for Shader Model 3.0 it will support model 3.0 Vertex Texture
    Fetch/Long programs/Pixel Shader flow control Vertex Texture
    Fetch/Long programs/Pixel Shader flow control and full speed fp32
    shading. Let's hope everyone understands what this means.

    There are plenty of other features of the chip which can do 16 pixels
    per clock Color & Z or 32 pixels per clock Z-only, 64-bit FP Frame
    Buffer Blending & Display, Lossless Color & Z-Compression and a new
    Antialiasing approach called High Quality AA - Rotated Grid full MTR
    (multi target rendering I guess), and accelerated shadow rendering.

    Geforce 6800 Ultra has two power connectors and is, surprisingly a one
    slot card for its reference card. It uses GDDR3 memory clocked at
    550MHz but some partners might go even higher.

    NV55, Apr 11, 2004

  2. NV55

    Kentucky77 Guest

    And your point is?

    Kentucky77, Apr 11, 2004

  3. NV55

    Andrew Guest

    Ooh, transistor envy.

    Andrew, Apr 11, 2004
  4. NV55

    Chocolate Guest

    Did they say whether or not the cards would be overpriced pieces of shit
    that create a 120 decibel swirling force-ten wind vortex just like the last
    generation of nVidia cards did?

    Chocolate, Apr 11, 2004
  5. NV55

    rms Guest

    Did they say whether or not the cards would be overpriced pieces of shit
    And will it require a 480w powersupply, as the inquirer has also
    reported? I suspect not, but it will require those two connectors to go to
    separate rails.

    rms

    rms, Apr 11, 2004
  6. NV55

    Darkfalz Guest

    Antialiasing approach called High Quality AA - Rotated Grid full MTR
    Wow, only took them 4 years to catch up to the Voodoo5 in terms of AA
    quality.

    Of course, the Voodoo5 wasn't exactly playable in most games using 4xFSAA -
    but it sure did look nice.

    Darkfalz, Apr 11, 2004
  7. NV55

    Mr. Grinch Guest

    I agree. I was also surprised that it's taken them this long to reach the
    same level of FSAA that the V5 had way back when. Well, at least they've
    finally done it, sort of. We still have to wait for the actual cards to
    show up on shelves.

    Mr. Grinch, Apr 11, 2004
  8. NV55

    Darkfalz Guest

    RGSS is the shit.

    What method is ATI using?

    Darkfalz, Apr 11, 2004
  9. I'm pretty sure ATI is still using OGSS :(

    I agree RGSS/JGSS is superior AA tech.

    Tony DiMarzio, Apr 11, 2004
  10. ATI's R3xx products have been using RGMS with gamma correction, far superior
    to the competition's.

    John

    John Reynolds, Apr 12, 2004
  11. Thank you for that. Was unaware of R3xx's AA implementation type. However,
    I'd argue that RGSS, while much more demanding of the GPU, still produces
    better edge and texture quality than RGMS. Then again you can always combine
    AF with AA on current hardware to achieve similar effects.

    Tony DiMarzio, Apr 12, 2004
  12. NV55

    Kentucky77 Guest

    I dont give a **** who has more transistors. I'm gonna buy the fucking video
    card that is the best. **** all you fan boys. I just dont give a ****. What
    are you gonna bout dat.

    Kentucky77, Apr 12, 2004
  13. NV55

    joe smith Guest

    I dont give a **** who has more transistors. I'm gonna buy the fucking
    video
    How you know that the card you are going to buy is the best one of the lot?
    On top of that, even if you by chance manage to buy the best card of the
    lot, don't worry about it, it will not be in another six months or so.

    I'm always buying the card that has the features I want to tinker around
    with. Looks like nVidia is having the edge on that one, there is only rumor
    out, but they say that the ATI won't be having VS/PS 3.0 on their next card,
    just increased performance ( *yawn*, booooring... the performance been
    alright for years for me already :)

    Ofcourse your mileage may vary.. maybe you going to play Half-Life2 or maybe
    DOOM III on the card of yours, who knows.. who cares.. but how you going to
    decide which card is the best for use you are going to buy the card for,
    when for example these two titles are still ways off from release when the
    latest ATI and nVidia offerings hit the retail.. if you on the other hand
    claim that you already have the software you going to be using with the
    cards, then, RADEON 9800 (PRO/XT) or GeForce FX 59xx will do just great, you
    don't need the latest cards from these vendors for existing applications -
    they run fine already.

    But your contribution to the world was very valuable, I learned a lot from
    it, thank you for posting.

    joe smith, Apr 12, 2004
  14. NV55

    joe smith Guest

    Oh, by the way, depending on the definition of 'best', you might look into
    ATI or nVidia workstation class cards like Quadro line from nVidia. The
    prices are modestly cheap, few thousand bucks for a 3D card never ruined
    anyone's balance. Then you will go into bed with your 3D card and make sweet
    love with it (your bed is by the fireplace, right?).

    joe smith, Apr 12, 2004
  15. NV55

    Chocolate Guest

    I would have thought that following the application benchmark reviews would
    give anyone a very accurate picture of any card's capabilities.

    It's like the 9800Pro vs 59xx argument.

    The 59xx was clearly shown to be an absolute waste of money. Of course,
    there are still those who argue for nVidia until they're blue in the face,
    despite the damning evidence.

    Chocolate, Apr 12, 2004
  16. NV55

    Kentucky77 Guest

    I still dont give a ****. You can talk, bitch think about stuff. And and I
    still dont give a ****.

    Kentucky77, Apr 12, 2004
  17. NV55

    Chocolate Guest

    OK.

    Chocolate, Apr 12, 2004
  18. NV55

    chrisv Guest

    *plonk*

    chrisv, Apr 12, 2004
  19. NV55

    joe smith Guest

    I still dont give a ****. You can talk, bitch think about stuff. And and I
    You don't give a **** so much that you are going to **** yourself over when
    you **** try to guess what the **** is the fucking best gfx card. There is
    no single answer, fanboy.

    joe smith, Apr 13, 2004
  20. NV55

    John Lewis Guest

    Or the Ati ones that overheat and fail after 6 months. RMA ( if you
    are lucky ) and get another one -- then repeat cycle.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 13, 2004