    The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
    uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
    officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

    Radeon350, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Radeon350

    NightSky 421 Guest

    I don't plan to do anything big in terms of upgrades to my PC until probably
    2006, so I can imagine how much faster the new box will be by then compared
    to my current machine which is now 15 months old! These sorts of
    developments are promising.

    NightSky 421, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Ya know what I want? I wan't two Vid cards. 1 ATI, and 1 NVidia. I wan't
    them to both be < 50$, have 64 pixel pipelines, use GDDR4 at 1.5ghz and run
    on the not-yet-conceived USB 3.0 interface that supports 800Gbps; this way I
    can swap them out whenever I need to in no time at all. Shit... I could even
    carry my USB 3.0 vid cards on my keys... but then I'd look like a real nerd
    and it would really suck if I lost my keys.

    Eh.....hmmm... anyway.... I'm thinkin ATI's gonna win next round.

    R520 > NV47 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Tony DiMarzio, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Err, and CPU's still only have 9 piplines.

    Nicholas Buenk, Dec 10, 2004
  5. We should have got 32 pipes with a 600MHz core clock and GDDR3 @
    1.6Ghz!!!!!!

    Richard Dower, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Radeon350

    Minotaur Guest

    Well with IBM manufactoring nVidia's GPU and Sony pumping in a fortune
    with there PS3 partnership, it should be interesting. Just imagine some
    of the resources and technologies available to nVidia now from Sony.

    Perhaps ATI needs AMD to do some of the fab work for there GPU :)

    Minotaur, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Radeon350

    Radeon350 Guest

    Nvidia's next gen PC GPU, whatever it is (not Nv47, but either NV50,
    NV55, or NV60) will probably have 48 pipelines, at 600~700 Mhz. on 90
    nm or 65 nm. just guessing.

    Radeon350, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Radeon350

    factory Guest

    CPU's generally only have one pipeline,
    maily because they generally operate in a
    serial manner. The stuff a GPU operates on is
    highly parallelised so going with multiple
    pipelines makes sense.

    - Factory

    factory, Dec 10, 2004
  9. The 486 was the last CPU to have one pipeline....
    The Athlon 64 has 9 the Pentium 4 7. Still the more piplines you have the
    harder it is to push up mhz. And if GPU deal with more parallel data than
    CPU's....

    Nicholas Buenk, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Radeon350

    Walter Mitty Guest

    rubbish.

    Walter Mitty, Dec 10, 2004
  11. Radeon350

    cowboyz Guest

    Out of interest. without me going and looking it up, how many pipelines on
    the AMD XP CPUs?

    cowboyz, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Radeon350

    dvus Guest

    Now, there's a convincing argument...

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Radeon350

    factory Guest

    The A64 has two pipelines, one for integer
    and one for floating point, (cite:
    http://sandpile.org/impl/k8.htm) what you are
    referring to is pipeline stages, which is not
    the same as a pipeline.

    - Factory

    factory, Dec 10, 2004
  14. Radeon350

    Ed Light Guest

    Somone was feeling quite pekid.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Dec 11, 2004
  15. The same number, the 64 just has a modified instruction decoder, ondie
    memory controller and 64 bit and more... It's mostly the same as the XP.

    Nicholas Buenk, Dec 11, 2004
  16. What is the difference?

    Nicholas Buenk, Dec 11, 2004
  17. Radeon350

    J. Clarke Guest

    A pipeline is just that. Each pipeline can have several operations going on
    at once, each is a stage.

    However, according to the AMD site, the Athlon XP has 6 pipelines, not
    stages, 3 floating point and 3 integer, and the site that 'factory'
    references does not say anything about how many pipelines are present, only
    about the number of stages.

    I can't find anything on the AMD site that says how many pipelines the
    Athlon 64 has.

    J. Clarke, Dec 11, 2004
  18. Radeon350

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Its not an argument. Anyone can find out for themselves.

    Walter Mitty, Dec 11, 2004
  19. Radeon350

    Memnoch Guest

    No doubt they are blowing smoke up ATI's collective arse. But interesting
    reading nonetheless.

    Memnoch, Dec 12, 2004
  20. Radeon350

    deimos Guest

    I wonder if the Register and other reports are simply miscontruing the
    two chips. I.E., there is no NV50 yet, but a 47, or that an early
    revision of one of the chips was scrapped (sort of like what happened
    with early R500 development or what NVIDIA initially did with the NV40).

    deimos, Dec 12, 2004