    If you want to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    And this isn't the complain department, its 'Getting hit on the head
    lessons' in here. Waa

    hona ponape, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Radeon350

    tq144 Guest

    I'm happy with my 12 pipes.

    tq144, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Radeon350

    tk Guest

    Yea and my Wesley Pipes !!!

    tk, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Radeon350

    assaarpa Guest

    The 486 was the last CPU to have one pipeline....
    Yadda yaddayadda .. it doesn't MATTER. That's a red herring. The real
    difference is in the fact that CPU executes linear sequence of instructions,
    yes, it is possible to re-order instructions and execute them out-of-order
    when there are no dependencies to other instructions and so on. But this is
    just going for straws.

    Now look at GPU, the instructions that are executed are SAME for each pixel
    in a primitive that is being scanconverted. If there is a triangle with 100
    pixels, yes, every single one of those 100 pixels execute precisely the same
    shader instructions. The data that comes from samplers varies, but the
    shader is the same. This means it is feasible to throw N shaders at the
    problem and get the job done N times faster (theoretically). In practise
    getting values from samplers is I/O bound, there is specific amount of
    memory bandwidth the system can sustain, after that, the system is bandwidth
    limited. To remedy this to a degree the memory subsystem been diviced to
    multiple stages where the stage closer to the shader unit is faster, but
    smaller and the slowest memory is in the DDR3 (for example) modules but is
    the cheapest kind of memory so there is most of that type. Just over
    simplification of a typical contemporary GPU but should do the trick.

    Now, this is a bit different as pipelined CPU architechture.. because.. the
    term is simply abused by the almost-know-what-talking-about people.
    Generally the people who are clued-in talk about shader arrays (this
    terminology depends on the corporate culture you are from) or similiar. The
    GPU IMPLEMENTATION can be pipelined, or not, more likely it is pipelined
    than not because non-pipelined architechtures are fucking slow and
    inefficient. This applies to a single shader, not array, an array of shaders
    is not normally refered as "pipelined" when the array containst more than a
    single shader: that is completely different issue.

    And to go back to things that annoy in the CPU discussion above...

    486DX has 487, by the above definition that would count as a 'pipeline', but
    the correct terminology would be 'execution unit'. The real meat of this is
    in the fact that 386 wasn't 'pipelined', the 486 was 'pipelined', it was the
    processor architechture from *Intel* that introduced pipelining in the
    mainstream x86 product line.

    It was the Pentium which introduced multi-execution-unit ALU core to x86
    product line, those were called the U and V pipe, literally. The next core
    design was something completely different: it did decode the x86 instruction
    stream into micro-ops, which were executed on number of (3 if I remember
    correctly!) execution units. Two of which were simpler and executed only
    simplest instructions and one which executed more complex instructions such
    as division, multiple and such. This was the PentiumPRO architechture, which
    was used in PentiumII and PentiumIII aswell, with the difference that MMX
    and SSE were added on the consequent processors.

    But why I am telling this is that the PPRO architechture wasn't really
    'multi-pipe' in the traditional sense, it was multiple execution units and
    out-of-order execution of single instruction stream in micro-op level. The
    next design, NetBurst architechture went a step further.. the decoded
    instruction streams were stored in so-called trace cache, again in multiple
    execution units and the pipeline length was more than doubled since the
    previous generations (I don't insult anyone by explaining what pipelining
    means in practise, assumed that the reader is familiar with microprocessor
    design basics for crying out loud). The pipeline was broken into more
    distinct stages to reach higher operating frequencies. Simpler stages
    complete in smaller time, therefore the frequency is possible to increase
    and still have a design that works reliably and predictably. This seems to
    be market driven decision instead of purely engineering decision but that
    can be speculated so everyone can draw their own conclusions that is just
    mine and not necessarily Truth.

    Anyway, the point I am drawing to is that the 'pipelining' in CPU -or- GPU
    is implementation detail and not relevant to shader arrays per-se. Merry
    Xmas!

    assaarpa, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Radeon350

    dvus Guest

    What'd he say?

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Radeon350

    Jim Vieira Guest

    I dunno Beavis, but one of them has "ass" in his name. HUHHHUHUHUHUH.

    Jim Vieira, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Radeon350

    dvus Guest

    Heh...

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Radeon350

    Ed Light Guest

    It's over your head. Leave it to the techies.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Radeon350

    dvus Guest

    How will I ever learn if I do that?

    dvus, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Radeon350

    chrisv Guest

    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

    chrisv, Dec 20, 2004

  11. 24 with one pipe or 1 with 24 pipes? :))

    Danny Greaves, Dec 21, 2004