Nv4_dsp Driver Locks in Infinite Loop

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Cal Palmer, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Cal Palmer

    Cal Palmer Guest

    I have a new PC running XP Media Center Edition sp2 with 2x Nvidia GeForce
    78800 GTX cards. Periodically I get blue-screen stops, with nothing intense
    running, in fact sometimes I've had the feeling it relates to screen saver
    activity although at other times not.

    The error message I frequently see is that the nv4_dsp driver has locked in
    an infinite loop.

    Restarting allows things to run normally for awhile (days), then it repeats.
    Occasionally the display is garbled lines and texture and the computer is
    frozen, requiring removal of the power cord.

    I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver (81.85?) last night, but it wouldn't
    install, indicating it didn't find compatible hardware. As advised in the
    readme file, I disabled Norton antivirus and firewall software.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, an email to
    would be as well.

    Thanks,

    Cal

    Cal Palmer, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Cal Palmer

    Cal Palmer Guest

    A couple corrections: the cards are GeForce Go 7800 GTX. The driver I
    downloaded is 81.94.
    Cal

    Cal Palmer, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Cal Palmer

    deimos Guest

    If I understand correctly, you have a 7800 SLI setup on a desktop. The
    Geforce Go (also sometimes called "GoForce" stupidly) is a mobile chip
    designed for integration into laptops and PDA's.

    The main things you should be concerned about are 1) your motherboard
    chipset driver and 2) hardware incompatibilities (BIOS version, etc).
    Identify your motherboard's chipset, get the proper driver for it. This
    is expecially important for the bridge chip that controls your graphics
    subsystem (PCI-X controller).

    However, if you bought this system preconfigured brand new, any issues
    you have should first be taken up under warranty or service contract
    with your vendor. I can't believe they'd just whip together a
    non-working Media Center PC with SLI. It could be an actual hardware
    failure or bad components.

    deimos, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Cal Palmer

    First of One Guest

    http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=9

    The "infinite loop" error message is simply WinXP's way of displaying BSODs.
    The solution could be as simple as updating your mobo chipset driver, like
    Deimos suggested. It could also be as tedious as swapping every piece of
    hardware in your box, one at a time...

    First of One, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Cal Palmer

    R.V. Gronoff Guest

    Cal Palmer a écrit :
    It happens with some 3d engines, particularly those used in some EA
    games. I had this problem with Madden 2004, Need For Speed Underg'd and
    a couple more with my Ti4600.

    R.V. Gronoff, Dec 8, 2005
  6. Cal Palmer

    Patrician Guest

    Download and run Memtest86. Although the error your seeing presents it's
    self as relating to nv4_dsp is could just as easily be faulty system RAM.

    Trev

    Patrician, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Cal Palmer

    Victor Hall Guest

    Try different ram if at all possible.I had the same problem.Switching from
    Crucial to Corsair solved the problem.Amd 64 2800 system with Asrock mb.

    Victor Hall, Dec 11, 2005
  8. Cal Palmer

    Victor Hall Guest

    Or lower the speed of your ram.If that helps it's probably a ram
    problem.Either bad ram or just incompatable with your mb.

    Victor Hall, Dec 11, 2005