nVidia & 3Dfx. - Are they compatible ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Phil, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Hi,

    All this talk about 3Dfx make me remember my Voodoo 5500 AGP video
    card just recently gone to silicon heaven after many years of good
    service. Any way, I got a used Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 to replace
    it.

    The GForce4 works great with most of my "newer" games that the V5500
    was unable to run (lack of T&L hardware and power). But I do dearly
    missed the V5500 because I am unable to play some of my favourite
    older flight sim that utilized Glide.

    Fortunately, I have a spare never used V5500 PCI version and I wonder
    is it possible to have the V5500 PCI along with the Ti4200 AGP? Is it
    pain-less to install and setup driver for both video card on the same
    system? My PC is dual boot of Win98SE purely for games and Win2K for
    non-gaming stuffs. My monitor has both BNC & D-Sub connector and can
    easily switch via a button.

    Please advise. Thanks.

    Phil, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Phil

    deimos Guest

    I don't quite remember if the last sets of drivers were able to be
    installed side by side or not. I think there were some later "X Gamers"
    drivers, and I'll bet someone still hacks up a new set now and again.

    Check their release notes, see if they have any compatibility problems.
    I would think you'd use a passthrough normally, but if switching works
    for you, go ahead.

    But you might not need the Voodoo in there, there are several good
    Glide-wrappers out, some will even work in DOS (DOS emu in Windows).
    There was eVoodoo and another new one just came out a month or two ago.
    Check the usual emulation sites (ngemu.com and zophar.net) and maybe
    search through the archives of warp2search.net.

    deimos, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Phil

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Phil

    NightSky 421 Guest

    I was under the impression that the GeForceFX series has integrated some of
    3dfx's old technology, but I also heard it wasn't done very well. Is any of
    this true?

    NightSky 421, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Phil

    Silvertip Guest

    To answer the OP, yes the PCI 5500 will work along side the AGP Ti4200. I
    have an extra system set up with Win98SE using both for a couple of my
    flight sims and a couple of racing sims that want to choke, barf, etc.
    anytime they get close to WinXP and/or a GeForce card. I just have to
    decide which card I want to use during boot-up and select it in the bios.
    Silvertip

    Silvertip, Aug 22, 2004