Nvidia 5200 Go AGP 4X Vs 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Sharp, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. Sharp

    Sharp Guest

    Hi

    Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?

    64MB DDR nVidia® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X

    or

    128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

    I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
    wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also, can
    you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
    making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?

    Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
    buying a notebook.

    Cheers
    Michael

    Sharp, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Sharp

    Lachoneus Guest

    Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?
    You can't easily overclock much of anything in a notebook (without
    setting fire to your lap, anyway).

    Also, I don't think a 1.6GHz Pentium-M (Centrino) is slow enough to
    bottleneck a 9600 Pro. I haven't seen direct benchmarks, but the P-M at
    1.6GHz is probably faster than a P4 at 2.4GHz.

    What resolution will your laptop's display run at? If it's high (above
    1024x768), get the 9600 Pro. Otherwise, get the 9600 Pro anyway. You
    can't usually upgrade laptop graphics, so get something that will last.
    (Unless you don't plan on playing games on your laptop, then get
    whatever's cheap.)

    Lachoneus, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Sharp

    J. Clarke Guest

    There's no real comparison between a 5200 and a 9600 Mobility, which I
    presume are the alternatives. If it's a 1.6 GHz Centrino assume the
    preformance of a much faster desktop P4--Intel looks like they're going to
    have to go to the same "P-rating" scheme as AMD pretty soon--the Centrinos
    are very efficient processors, giving much better performance than their
    clock speed would suggest.

    By the way, the 9600 Mobility is itself a very good overclocker I
    understand.

    J. Clarke, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Sharp

    deimos Guest

    A totally unfair match, the 9600Pro will blow it out of the water and
    piss on the 5200. They are extremely different cards.

    A good match for the 9600Pro is a 5700. A 5700 Ultra GDDR3 can beat it
    handily. But the 5700U was never a mobile chip, so a 6100/6200 GO would
    be the closest match.

    Get a better CPU though. You'll need at least a 2.6-3.0ghz P4 before
    you start noticing the differences a video card will make. That said
    however, a 9600Pro does "more" for a low end system than an equivalent
    NVIDIA model.

    While the Centrino P4-M's (acually a Pentium-M I believe) are VERY good
    clock for clock compared to a generic P4, you will need something better
    if you're serious about mobile gaming. Still, go for the 9600.

    deimos, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Sharp

    Lachoneus Guest

    Get a better CPU though. You'll need at least a 2.6-3.0ghz P4 before
    Is this laptop going to be strictly a desktop replacement machine? I'd
    go Centrino before P4 if battery life/heat generation is important to
    you. Raw CPU speed is overrated; it's only part of the picture, and
    most new systems mate a fast CPU to a mediocre system (because GHz
    sells, thanks Intel) when money would be better spent building a good
    balance.

    My laptop has an XP1800+ and an ATI 320M graphics chip (equivalent to a
    Radeon 7000). It scores 1612 on 3DMark2001.

    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6529082

    Just for kicks, I dropped my old Ti4200 into a much older Pentium II
    300MHz machine and ran 3DMark on that. It beats my laptop by over 60%,
    scoring 2639.

    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8228642

    I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. Other than don't skimp on
    the video.

    </ramble>

    Lachoneus, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Sharp

    Greg Guest

    The Pentium M comes in a variety of speeds. Up to 2ghz. And that processor
    speed plus the 2 meg of cache (Dothan processor) and will hold it's ground
    to any p4 on the market. And the Mobil P4 won't even be able to keep up with
    it.

    Greg, Nov 8, 2004