NVidia and Vista - Howto prevent driver from switching to high resolutions

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Thomas Steinbach, May 17, 2009.

  1. Hello

    With the new 185.50 driver and Vista I have much trouble.
    After installing and restarting it seems that the driver try to switch to
    a high resolution with a high refresh rate, which my monitor doesn't support
    and the monitor turns off. Eventually I can't login :-(

    I have to start with the "640x480" low resolution mode to get the login
    screen. And my admin account, where I set a valid resolution and refresh
    rate after the install procedure, works fine. But if a user try to login,
    the display drvier seems to switch to a high resolution and high refresh
    rate also :-( The monitors turns off and no interaction is possible :-(

    It seems that with this newer version of the nvidia display drivers
    the resolution and refresh rate can be set at each account diffrent.
    Am I right?

    How can I prevent the display driver to switch to a high resolution and
    high refresh rates at logon screen, because the 640x480 low resolution
    switch
    is'nt very comfortable, and how can I prevent the "higeh end" switching
    after a user logon?
    Today I encounterd that the driver try to switch to high resolutions after
    boot up with teh low resolution video (640x480). But I have enough time
    to logon with my working account.

    Or how can I set the resolution and refresch rate at the login screen
    and a "default" setting for the user accounts? Like a default setting
    for the _whole_ computer? (Similar to the resolution setting in gnome)

    Please help me, because I'm going crazy about this issue...

    btw: Does anybody now the version of nvidias display driver wich comes
    with the Initial Vista Release (not the SP1)?
    And is it possible to install this version over the newer version?
    The problem is, that I don't have apprropriate SystemRestore Points.

    Thomas

    Thomas Steinbach, May 17, 2009

  2. Thomas Steinbach

    timelord Guest

    Also with this driver i have noticed that Windows Aero no longer functions
    and is removed from the theme list.

    Phil.

    timelord, May 23, 2009

  3. Thomas Steinbach

    smlunatick Guest

    I would concentrate on using WHQL versions of the official nVidia
    drivers. The latest is 185.85

    smlunatick, May 29, 2009