nvidia cards. can't get my tv-out to work

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by ewolfman, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. ewolfman

    ewolfman Guest

    Hi,

    I have two machines. One has a Geforce 5600 and the other has a Geforce
    6200. Both have Tv-out s-video and the latest drivers installed.

    I've connected each machine at a time to a TV I have (which is quite
    old, I must admit), and couldn't get the tv-out to work no matter what.

    To be brief at my attempts: I've tried different resolutions, I've
    tried tweaking the force tv detection, I've tried tvtool, I've also
    tried changing the primary display to TV as one thread suggested, and
    I've also tried changing the tv format to the correct PAL settings in
    my country. BTW: the cables are definitely good.

    Unforunatelly, at this time I have no alternate TV to test the machines
    with.

    So, other than changing the TV to a newer one, does anyone have a
    better suggestion ?

    P.S. The weird thing about all this, is that when I try to tweak
    several settings in the nvidia panel, such as the TV settings, or
    attempt to detect displays in the TVTool, then the TV does show some
    kind of an activity. No picture, god forbid... but something is
    definitly showing. I thought that this may be a refresh rate problem,
    because I read somewhere that PAL TVs have 50 and 60 hz modes, but the
    settings only allow me the 60 hz mode.

    Thanks !

    ewolfman, Dec 24, 2005

  2. ewolfman

    Chuck Guest

    It may be because your TV does not have a termination resistor on the input
    you are connecting to.

    Chuck, Dec 25, 2005

  3. To get yer TV to be detected, you need to connect it to the TV and turn the
    TV on before you start up the PC. I think on both cards, if the TV is
    detected you should get POST and boot screens until the TV is detected.

    How're you connecting the TV,? Have you selected the right input?

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 25, 2005
  4. You might have been given the wrong cable, I was given a 4 pin TV-out
    cable when the proper cable has 9 pins. When I finally got a 9 pin
    cable, I found I had to use an SVHS to video converter plug to go to
    the Video In on the TV. If it's a really old TV, it mightn't have a
    Video In socket. You might also need a Video to RF converter to plug
    into the Antenna socket on the TV.
    When you get that sorted out, put the nVidia settings to Clone mode.

    Sig:
    "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right." -Henry Ford

    Rotes Sapiens, Dec 27, 2005