nVidia Drivers and CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Peregrin, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Peregrin

    Peregrin Guest

    ASUS A7N8X-E
    Barton Mobile XP2600 at 2200MHz
    Kingmax MPXC22D PC-3200 2x512MB
    WinXP SP1

    Hi Folks,

    I started putting together the above system, and after installing the
    nVidia nForce drivers from the CD, PERFMON showed an erratic CPU
    utilization, of about 2% to 5% for about 5 seconds every about 12 seconds.
    Before installing the driver, it was a steady 0%. I'd like to know if
    this is normal for the above MOBO, or if there is something wrong
    somewhere.

    If you never looked at this, click start, run, enter 'perfmon', and you'll
    see a pretty graph showing CPU, Memory, and HDD utilization. The green
    line is the CPU. I'd very appreciate knowing what you find out. Oh yes,
    all applications should be turned off when you check this.

    I also see occasional spikes of memory usage, going from 20% to 100%. They
    tend to be more pronounced right after rebooting, and settle down and
    gradually stop after maybe 15 minutes.

    Is any of the above something I should try to do something about, or is it
    normal and can I just forget about it?

    Thank you for any and all input!

    Peregrin, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Peregrin

    Ken Maltby Guest

    This is most likely normal background processing, it gets
    even worse with SP2, but has no real impact. You can
    turn off the automatic loading of unneeded "Services" to
    cut this back some. You should run a good spyware
    detector like "AdAware" as well as your virus scanner.

    The startup activity is normal, but the over 5% usage should
    only last a few minuets, unless you get a popup scanning message.
    It is a good idea to let your system sit until the disk activity at
    startup finishes, so that most of the background functions that run
    only once (at start-up) have a chance to complete and unload
    themselves.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Peregrin

    Andy Lee Guest

    Here's a bet for you. installing the nvidia drives enables the nvidia
    NIC . Guess XP is polling the card to see if there is anything
    connected to it.

    Andy Lee, Nov 10, 2004