NVidia faster then ATI in this benchmark

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Stefan Sommereyns, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Stefan Sommereyns, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Stefan Sommereyns

    edde Guest

    When it comes to professional opengl apps, ATI's cards have always been
    behind Nvidia's in both compatibility and speed. That is the only reason I
    bought a 5900 instead of a 9800 (I do 3d work)

    edde, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Stefan Sommereyns

    Shawk Guest

    For professional 3D modelling? ATI cards are for gaming.

    I have three PC's here at home, two with NVidia, one with ATI. One of the
    NVidia's is for graphics, the ATI is for games. Every card has its strong
    points. Shawk

    Shawk, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Stefan Sommereyns

    Phil Guest

    Well, "When it comes to professional opengl apps" you still bought the
    wrong video card. For a 3D works, shouldn't you use one of the
    following cards instead of the 5900 (which basically a gaming video
    card):

    - 3Dlabs Wildcat 3D video cards.
    - 3Dlabs Oxygen video cards

    Phil, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Stefan Sommereyns

    tq96 Guest

    Well, "When it comes to professional opengl apps" you still bought the
    Cards that are top notch in 3D applications have been notoriously slow in
    3D games. For someone who wishes to use the same system for both, having
    an NVidia or ATI card is not a bad way to go.

    tq96, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Stefan Sommereyns

    edde Guest

    Not at all.
    I know MANY users of Lightwave who use the Nvidia cards (the TI series is
    very popular).
    In fact, the vast majority use those cards because they are inexpensive, and
    performance diff compared to the cards below is very little.

    edde, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Stefan Sommereyns

    Larry L. Guest

    I know PLENTY of Maya and Houdini users (people who do this for a living)
    who are very happy with nvidia cards, and some with ATI as well. This
    overall claim that "gaming cards" don't work well with pro 3D apps is simply
    not true. Yes, there are a few things that the pro cards can do better, but
    these things are pretty specific and absolutely do not effect all areas of
    pro 3d work.

    Gaming is a much, MUCH more lucrative industry for graphics card
    manufacturers. This means they have a LOT more money to poor into R&D, and
    can offer hardware at much lower profit margins since they sell so many more
    cards.

    Larry

    Larry L., Oct 8, 2003
  8. Stefan Sommereyns

    Lenny Guest

    True. Pro cards still have the edge in pure rendering accuracy though, with
    very deep and/or complicated scenes they give fewer gaps in models, fewer
    Z-buffer errors etc. They also tend to have much better antialiasing; the
    newest line of 3DLabs Wildcat boards have simply insanely good antialiasing,
    nothing in the consumer space touches it.

    Wether that's enough to spend the extra dough on a pro card (and thus likely
    lose some performance as well), that is something customers have to decide
    for themselves... ;)

    Lenny, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Stefan Sommereyns

    Nada Guest

    I know some Houdini users as well, but they just keep disappearing for
    no apparent reason.

    Nada, Oct 10, 2003