Nvidia G80. -next-gen or current-gen refresh ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by a link to the past, May 4, 2005.

  1. I am confused about Nvidia's G80 GPU. (I'll bet many of you have never even
    heard of it)G80 is the next GPU from Nvidia, after the G70.if G70 is an
    NV4X-based GPU, (a refresh of NV40), what is G80? another NV4X-based GPU?
    (a 2nd refresh of NV40)or is G80... a GPU based on Nvidia's totally new
    architecture, NV5X ?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21827

    Nvidia core G80 emerges

    CeBIT 2005 After G70 comes G80

    By Fuad Abazovic in Hannover: Tuesday 15 March 2005, 08:00
    NVIDIA'S NEXT generation graphic remains a well protected secret. We
    still managed to get some information about it, despite that.

    We confirmed that G70 is the real thing and we learned that Nvidia has
    one more chip down the road codenamed the G80. We expect it to be based
    on 90 nanometre and have more pipes than NV40. We don't think that it
    will be dual graphics core stuff but you never know, you kow.

    We suspect this card should be ready sometimes in September time even
    some people suggested April as a possibility. But we believe that April
    is just a poisson d'Avril, or mayhaps a red herring.

    Nvidia and its partners are quite confident that they have the right
    thing but ATI has strong R520 horse for race. Let's see what the future
    brings. ___________________________________

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21822
    "Nvidia investigates dual core graphics

    CeBIT 2005 IBM Fishkill involved

    By Fuad Abazovic in Hannover: Tuesday 15 March 2005, 08:23

    WE LEARNED that Nvidia is looking into making a dual die for a graphics
    chip. I believe that this is the next "big thing" and the graphic
    industry will move towards it as soon as it becomes too expensive to
    make single core chips with many transistors inside. It happened to the
    CPU industry and it will happen for graphics chips too.

    For some time, Nvidia has toyed with the idea of putting two dies on
    one chip. I am not sure how soon it will happen and whether or not
    Nvidia's future G70 or G80 actually has to do something with it but it
    will sure happen over the next few quarters.

    It's interesting to note that Nvidia is doing this at IBM Fishkill, the
    factory that is also doing something about dual cores for AMD.

    When we talked with ATI's CEO, Dave Orton confirmed to us that the
    industry will have to move that way once it starts to make financial
    sense. I believe that's why Nvidia is preparing and I am sure that ATI
    is not sitting and waiting with its legs crossed like a wallflower at a
    dance.

    The eternal graphic fight won't calm down anytime soon. It's all about
    winning the designs and selling more and more since that's what

    a link to the past, May 4, 2005

  2. a link to the past

    * Guest

    lo immaginavo, un sli su scheda unica o un 6800 con 24 pipeline. imho un bel
    flop modello nv30.
    nvidia rischia di lasciarci le penne.

    scaldate gli alimentatori e che enel sia con voi. :D

    *, May 4, 2005