    resolution screen.

    I would love to have something like 1400 x 1050.

    Is this possible?

    tlachaussie, Apr 5, 2007

  2. tlachaussie

    Paul Guest

    The screen has a native resolution, like 1280 x 800. You can set the GPU
    to a lower resolution, and the panel adjusts the pixels to best fit the
    1280 x 800 hardware pixels. For example, if the GPU was set to 640 x 400,
    it is easy to see that one pixel from the GPU, becomes a 2x2 square on
    the real screen.

    But if the resolution of the GPU was set higher than the panel, the panel
    would display an "overrange" error or simply blank out, meaning the panel
    cannot do anything with a resolution higher than its native value.

    When I visit the Dell site, I can see why it is hard to tell exactly
    what you are getting. They offer three 15.4" screens for the 6400,
    and a couple of different web pages use different symbolic names
    for the resolutions. So for the screens that offer a higher resolution
    than the base 6400 screen, it is hard to tell what native resolution you
    are getting.

    This Wikipedia article attempts to translate from the "Wacky World"
    of symbolic resolutions, to numbers that everyone can understand.
    Without this page, how would we know that WSXGA+ is actually 1680 x 1050 ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

    If your screen was 1680 x 1050, everything would look smaller. You would
    have to enable the option in Windows to use larger fonts, to bring text
    back to usable size.

    Page 3 and 4 of this article might also be relevant to a new
    Dell notebook owner. They refer to how Dell sets things up, before
    shipping their product, and what effect that can have on what you
    see on screen.

    http://news.digitaltrends.com/featured_article6_page2.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 5, 2007

  3. tlachaussie

    DaveW Guest

    LCD screens each have a Native Resolution. It is the ONLY resolution
    setting that will be sharp and focused for that screen. Your Native
    Resolution is 1280 x 800. That is your only choice. Time for a new
    notebook?

    DaveW, Apr 5, 2007