    This is on a Dell Desktop computer.

    Thanks for any insights.
    charliec

    charliec, Apr 10, 2013

  2. charliec

    Paul Guest

    That sounds like audio-over-HDMI.

    Does your computer monitor have speakers ? Are you connected
    over HDMI ?

    The capability might not be of much use to you, if you're not
    connected that way. My audio goes to my analog computer speakers,
    so that Nvidia update wouldn't do anything for me.

    As a general recommendation, don't take hardware drivers from
    Windows Update.

    If you're having an actual problem with your Nvidia product,
    you can go straight to the Nvidia.com web site, and try another
    driver from there.

    A typical reason for updating a video driver, might be to improve
    game compatibility, get better frame rate performance.

    You can roll back a driver, from Device Manager (one level of rollback
    is supported, not an infinite number of levels). I prefer to just
    keep copies of all the ones I've used, and uninstall the old one,
    then install whatever version I want to try. When you uninstall
    the video driver, the default system VESA driver is used in its place
    (so you can continue to see the screen). So even when you don't
    have a video driver installed, there is actually a video driver
    being used, a fallback driver. The fallback driver is written
    by Microsoft.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2013

  3. charliec

    charliec Guest

    Paul,

    Thanks so much for your reply and insights! Yes, I have speakers, but
    just normal speakers attached to my computer. I'm not sure what HDMI
    is and what it provides? I do not do a lot of gaming, etc, so,
    probably do not have a need for the update. But, wanted to check to
    get some insights. I think I will just leave it alone as it is an
    Optional update.

    Thanks again
    charliec

    charliec, Apr 11, 2013
  4. charliec

    Paul Guest

    There are cables running from your computer to the LCD monitor.

    The cables follow various standards, and the connector on the end of
    the cable helps you figure out what you're using.

    From the past, we used VGA, which is an analog method of transmitting
    a video signal to the monitor.

    (Analog signals are continuously variable, and paint the colors on the screen.)

    http://www.tek.com/sites/tek.com/fi...PO3000SeriesMixedSignalOscilloscopes-18-N.jpg

    Now, there's also DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort, which are digital transmission
    methods. A series of 1's and 0's go streaming down the thin cable, to
    the monitor. The monitor gathers up those 1's and 0's to define
    the color of a pixel. RGB = 10110001 01101110 00010110 would take
    24 bits coming down the cable. The data would be sent, effectively,
    as 8 bits in series, carried on three virtual wires. When you have
    enough to paint a pixel, that can be stored somewhere in the monitor,
    in preparation for displaying the entire frame. The cables run at
    extremely high rates, because there can be a lot of pixels to paint,
    and a lot of frames of them, all unique, per second.

    Now, in the case of HDMI, they made room for both video and audio data.
    That means, most of the time, the cable is carrying video. But there
    is a break in the pattern (of some sort), to carry audio. If the
    monitor (or TV set) has speakers, then audio-over-HDMI allows the
    sounds of your computer session, to come out from the sides of the
    monitor. For realism. And HDMI has enough room for audio, that they
    can do many channel (for movie playback).

    The main advantage of something like audio-over-HDMI, is there is only
    the one thin cable running to the "display+speakers".

    HDMI was probably meant for situations like a DVD player being
    connected to a home theatre, in which case again, multi-channel
    audio accompanying the video signal, cuts down on the cable clutter.

    Some day, there will be practical wireless solutions for that,
    but they're still not that common. There have been some attempts,
    to send the HDMI signal over wireless, but the data has to be
    compressed to make that possible at the moment. A tech for
    doing that transmission wirelessly, is UWB or UltraWideBand.
    So some day, there might not be any wire clutter at all.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2013
  5. charliec

    charliec Guest

    Thanks, do you happen to have pictures of the wiring you are speaking
    of that are running from the computer to the monitor so I can compare
    and see which I have? Just wondering :)

    charliec

    charliec, Apr 11, 2013
  6. charliec

    Paul Guest

    I don't use HDMI, just VGA at the moment. That's all my monitor
    has. The other monitor (on the backup computer) is VGA as well.
    Quite atypical, to have two monitors with only analog input methods.
    Normally, a cheap monitor has digital input, whereas my $100 monitor
    was still the VGA kind.

    You can get pictures of all those, on Wikipedia. These are in
    roughly chronological order, and you can see the size dropping
    with each one.

    VGA - 15 pins
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Vga-cable.jpg

    DVI. The second picture shows the variations.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dvi-cable.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/DVI_Connector_Types.svg

    HDMI
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/HDMI-Connector.jpg

    DisplayPort
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Displayport-cable.jpg

    The DisplayPort one, may have been motivated by a wish to avoid
    licensing fees, so in some ways it's not that much different
    than HDMI.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2013
  7. charliec