Nvidia introduces nForce4 SLI X16 for AMD and Intel - Dell is first user of Intel version !

Discussion in 'Asus' started by John Lewis, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    John Lewis, Aug 9, 2005

  2. John Lewis

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Aug 9, 2005

  3. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Check the 955X specs. However, I have not seen any 955X motherboards
    with two PCIe x16 sockets. Also, I am sure that Dell would have used
    the 955X instead of nVidia, if it could have been persuaded to run in
    dual x16 SLI mode. Or maybe it is a cost issue; the 955X chip-set does
    not come cheap.

    Pity nVidia did not integrate decent audio into the SLI X16 revision
    to eliminbate any excuse for buying the Intel chip-set...nVidia is
    perfectly capable of such a task.

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Aug 10, 2005
  4. John Lewis

    Clay Cahill Guest

    Well, Intel has a cross licencing deal with Nvidia for the original
    Nforce 4 SL! and has a couple of boards out with it. I would guess
    that licence agreement will give them the technology in this updated
    nForce chipset and they'll just add it into thir existing 955 as with
    the earlier tech.

    Clay Cahill, Aug 10, 2005
  5. John Lewis

    Magnulus Guest

    Define what decent audio is?

    I see this crap repeated over and over: since Nvidia dropped Soundstorm,
    they have sucked, they haven't had a real DSP, etc. It's all bullshit.
    Soundstorm was just a Dolby Digital real-time encoder. The actual signal
    processing was, and still is, performed on the southbridge. Now, the audio
    codecs quality on the motherboards has never been great, and are usually
    very noisy, but just because NVidia wisely chose to drop the expensive DD
    5.1 encoder chip doesn't suddenly mean their audio quality got measureably
    worse.

    Magnulus, Aug 10, 2005
  6. John Lewis

    Paul Guest

    A Tyan K8WE dual Opteron board already supports 2 x16 SLI.
    So, you don't have to wait, if 2 x16 SLI is what you want.
    Both processors must be installed, so all chips can be
    interconnected. The block diagram is on page 2:

    ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2895_100.pdf

    Do a search on K8WE over on forums.2cpu.com for more info.

    I think the 955X only has 16 lanes available for video, so
    there isn't an opportunity to get 32 lanes there. And putting
    32 lanes on a single chip, would make the chip a bit warm.
    Only if Dell really wants it, would they make one :)

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 10, 2005
  7. actually nvideahaha can put four 7800's is dual sli and i still wouldn't buy
    it. Now i will switch away from Dell.
    I need stability in a PC workstation/game machine - spell that A T I
    partner.

    geesh play the nvideohoho driver game for a living ? uh... which driver
    version for this and the other driver version for that - pops i guess i
    better use the other driver version for the other thing huh.
    gawd wake up.
    nvideahuh is just a fast way to crash. no thanks.

    can't you tell by the threads here in the ATI newsgroup that ATI is up and
    running and stable.
    guess not you were stupid enough to cross post - so you must be stupid
    enough to purchase nvdia poop.
    bet you are going to get two 5200's and put those in sli and then saturate
    the nvidea newsgroup with "which drivers ?"

    go figure.

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

    hope this helps,

    ** No Fate **

    cheers,
    dracman
    Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm

    ** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictures.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midaspics.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

    ** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

    ** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

    -=-=-

    ** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
    ** for those whom wonder about "whats it like anyway huh"

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionline/rikku/jibb/Jueno.html

    -=-=-

    ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

    ** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

    ** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles

    ** World of Warcraft adventuring North to Ironforge. Dwarf Airport
    Discovered
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft.html

    ** No Pili'kaia **
    -=-