    Why on earth would they take the time to write that program and then
    add a Windows prompt that interrupts the user entering a full-screen
    game?!

    John Doe, Feb 28, 2007

  2. stuff like this, and having to load specific versions of Nvidia drivers
    for different games caused my move to ATI.

    you can see my path of video card upgrades and the sudden
    fed upness with Nvidia prompting my change to ATI (ahh stability):
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

    of course

    IF Nvidia goes with the 3Dfx api - i might be back.
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm

    ** no fate **

    dracman
    Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft1.html

    Aliase female hume rogue lvl 59 PVE solo
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=i0xZ0xV0oZEzxkMhRsoc
    5/11/34

    Zebby female NE Huntress lvl 56 / Aja nightstalker cat lvl 55 (bite,prowl)
    PVE solo
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cq0hZEVooqzohZ0GV
    9/28/10

    Iacta alea est

    Dr. Richard Cranium, Feb 28, 2007

  3. John Doe

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Those are both pretty reasonable suggestions, while the second one can
    be avoided by pre-emptively unblocking the game, I'm the first to admit
    I never remember to, or I don't do the proper executable. Some games
    integrate with Security Center, not enough do and none do it well.

    I'm curious about the ntune issue, is there no effective workaround
    other than manually applying the settings prior, and then negating the
    whole point of automation? Can the "ok" dialog button be made to keep
    focus, but the window not take focus?

    Mr.E Solved!, Mar 3, 2007
  4. John Doe

    Franky Guest

    Now, with the most recent NVIDIA nTune I go through the process of
    I would ask the same of microsoft after installing a new network/internet
    compatible game - it brings up a BLOCK / UNBLOCK from internet
    window the moment you load the game, sometimes making you load the
    game, sit through company logos etc..quit the game, make the choice..then
    load the fucker again.

    Franky, Mar 3, 2007
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Or how about a checkbox that says "do not display this dialogue next
    time".

    Then again, considering the target user knows enough to overclock
    his video card, an "overclocking successful" confirmation isn't even
    necessary.

    Gaming is why I bought a $300 NVIDIA video card. I'm annoyed, but it
    also seems silly that they would write an overclocking utility
    mainly used by gamers and then have an unnecessary prompt interrupt
    games.

    Oh well.

    John Doe, Mar 3, 2007
  6. John Doe

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    I've never used the ntune profile setting feature, I'm not missing much
    based on your reporting.

    Set one OC and forget about it, adjust your game profiles through nhancer.

    http://www.nhancer.com

    Mr.E Solved!, Mar 3, 2007
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Thanks, I just tried that. No contrast/brightness/gamma (except some
    gamma setting for antialiasing).

    As far as game profiles go, all I want to do is adjust contrast &
    brightness and/or gamma for a game that doesn't provide at least gamma
    correction. I find difficult to believe that those common settings are
    difficult to program. Sure seems strange that they aren't available,
    considering those game-specific adjustments are generally needed by
    gamers.

    John Doe, Apr 13, 2007
  8. John Doe

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    If you want to adjust gamma and/or brightness/contrast, and you do not
    see those options in game, you can adjust B/C on your display device and
    you can adjust gamma via the driver suite. You can't have missed that!

    Yes, you need to adjust them for every application. No, nhancer does not
    have settings for B/C/G, since it is easily adjusted outside the scope
    of the drivers.

    Which specific application are you having trouble with that does not
    have any in-game settings and can't be adjusted via the mentioned
    methods? Of all the games I have used, precious few lack in game display
    adjustments, I refer to both Direct3D and OpenGL.

    Even the Doom series, which have the darkest textures I've ever seen in
    a game (even darker than the Quake series), has numerous ways to
    brighten them, including .ini variables.

    Mr.E Solved!, Apr 13, 2007
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    All I see is something about gamma for antialiasing, is there a slider
    or numeric entry? If so, does it affect all the pixels on the screen?
    Maybe you could be generous with your expertise and provide a path to
    that setting?
    Of course I haven't missed the buttons on the monitor. But I'm talking
    about programming here.
    You mean every time I switch from Windows to the game I have to
    manually adjust contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor? That's what
    I'm trying to avoid. I oftentimes switch between a game and the
    Windows desktop.
    Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004. Supreme Commander. Some games like
    Warcraft III have gamma adjustment but no contrast/brightness.
    I appreciate your attempt to help with the drivers, but you might want
    to try a few more games.

    John Doe, Apr 13, 2007
  10. John Doe

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Gamma Correct Antialiasing is an important toggle setting that applies
    formulaic color correction to FSAA samples to provide a subjectively
    superior image based on a non-linear Gamma ramp instead of linear one.
    Such linear encoding vs. linear intensity provides for more even
    stepping of brightness as we see it, rather than what the math says we
    should see.

    A vivid example of the value of GCAA is in Half Life 2, where the
    overhead power lines and fencing are brought out in relief and are more
    consistently rendered with and against the rich background colors and
    varied lighting conditions. Try it for yourself.

    Yes, that is the unfortunate state of affairs. You must adjust each
    application as you use them. To be clear, there is no gamma setting on
    your monitor, only in the driver suite or application.

    FS9 has known borky internal FSAA. I recommend forcing all visual
    enhancements in FS9 and FS9.1 externally.

    Supreme Commander responds well to any and all DX3D visual changes. this
    includes those on the color correction tab of your display driver.

    WCIII, SC and other Blizzard Titles have substantial range in their
    brightness settings. Though they have a dark default. Again, set the
    game sliders as you wish, them adjust your monitor settings.
    I assure you, I have decades of experience with a vast, vast number of
    games, and I reassert, most have standard and effective ways to do set
    the displayed image however you desire. Combine the internal settings
    with external driver based settings and your monitors controls and you
    can achieve almost any particular look you desire. It's just that what
    looks good for one game doesn't apply to another. So you are forced to
    adjust you settings each and every time. There is no way around that.

    I will mention this, BF2 is one of the few games that has faulty light
    maps, and no iris bloom, so when you go from a dark interior to a lit
    exterior, you are faced with overly dark unlit textures that are out of
    place in the otherwise bright sun-lit exterior textures, and no amount
    of .ini or driver fiddling will correct that. Such as a building's
    vertical wall that is near black, but not in direct shadow and a clear sky.

    Mr.E Solved!, Apr 15, 2007
  11. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Then one has to wonder how you came up with the idea most games have
    anything more than gamma correction.
    I don't consider editing INI files to be a standard way to set the
    display image.

    Can you name some mainstream games that have more than gamma
    correction in their settings?

    Actually, gamma correction is a lot better than nothing. But it's not
    on some very popular mainstream games.

    The subject is simple. I'm talking about automatically adjusting
    brightness/contrast or at least gamma when switching to a game. The
    gamma correction setting in WarCraft 3 is an example. I would think
    that NVIDIA could provide the same function in their software,
    especially considering the mass of junk they throw in there already.
    If they can, there's no excuse. If they can't, fine.
    Iris bloom? Is that like Irish bloomers?

    John Doe, Apr 15, 2007
  12. John Doe

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    2 second summary: To get the image you desire, yes.

    Consider it advanced tweaking or standard practice, it doesn't matter.
    To get the look you want, especially with shader based games, you have
    to change numeric variables by hand in an .ini file.

    Serious Sam (All of them), Far Cry, Star Wars DF, JO, JA; Total War:
    Rome and Medieval, Quake (All of them, Doom II and exp packs, HL2,
    Dungeon Siege Series...must I go on? CoH, Oblivion (peace be unto it).
    All of them have (multiple!) .ini files which contain a multitude of
    settings which directly effect what we are calling brightness, contrast
    and gamma. Shader based programs almost require .ini tweaking based on
    your exact hardware configuration for decent results.

    The good news is many web sites have specific and detailed instructions
    on how to adjust the innumerable settings, where the files are located,
    how to make backups, etc. It is a pain that it has to be done, it is
    anti-plug-and-play but once you get the game set correctly, you can
    forget it and the end result is a customized image that looks best for you.

    Here's a good place to get started:

    http://www.tweakguides.com/

    No, it's an effect to simulate how we as people visually transition from
    a dark area to a brightly lit one using tricks with delay and counter
    intuitive visual adjustments. There is another technical name to it, but
    not as catchy.

    Btw, I agree with your underlying theme that "Why should people have to
    root around in text files to change obscure variables that need to be
    explained to them to get what I consider to be basic visual
    adjustments?" It's a complex question that can only be answered by going
    over the differences in DirectX and OpenGL and proprietary game engine
    design decisions. Which is a boring and annoying subject!

    Mr.E Solved!, Apr 15, 2007