NVIDIA nForce SATA hot-swap: feed up!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Zeneca, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Zeneca

    Zeneca Guest

    Mobo = A8N-E

    HD = a single SATA Maxtor 160 GB with three partitions (C:, D:, E:)

    The icon to remove hardware safely is on the tray from windows session
    start.

    I'm always afraid my family will mix up the USB memory key with the base HD,
    at the time of removing the key from the PC.

    I've been looking on several FAQ, forums, Asus web, but I had not luck yet
    about how to change the properties of the base HD, in order to delete it
    from the removal hardware list.

    I know that the icon can be removed from the tool bar, but then it would
    disappear for all the hardware, including the USB memory key, that might
    need it for safety.

    Any hint about how to fix the dilemma?

    Thanks and regards.

    Juan Luis

    Zeneca, Jul 7, 2005

  2. It shouldn't be a problem. You can't stop a device that has open files
    on it, and the Windows boot drive always will.

    Robert Hancock, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Zeneca

    Zeneca Guest

    It shouldn't be a problem. You can't stop a device that has open files on
    Ok, It shouldn't be any problem.

    But is there ANY way to hiden ONLY the basic HD's from the removible
    devices?

    Thanks.

    Zeneca, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Zeneca

    milleron Guest

    If someone accidentally clicks the HD (and that takes two clicks,
    nothing a kid would likely do by accident), what will it really hurt?
    The worst that could happen is that you'd have to restart the computer
    to get it detected again.

    I don't think there is a way to take it off the list. In prior
    operating systems, there was sometimes an option for making a drive
    "removable." I don't find that in XP, at least not while using the
    nVidia IDE drivers.

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Zeneca

    Zeneca Guest

    If someone accidentally clicks the HD (and that takes two clicks,
    Considering I've working a pair of HD's as Raid-0, on the worts case and due
    to the shutdown I can lost all the data, but nothing else.
    That's the point: this feature depends from nVidia drivers and not from Xp.
    This possibility of disconnecting the basic HD's should be considered when
    designing the drivers, on my opinion.
    Thanks anyway.

    Zeneca, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Zeneca

    milleron Guest

    Why do you think you'd lose all your data?
    Ron

    milleron, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Zeneca

    Zeneca Guest

    On the case that the "logic disconnection" is produced, the OS would be
    always working.
    I'm not confident this connection cut, can't affect the Raid-0 consistency.

    Zeneca, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Zeneca

    milleron Guest

    The OS would still "be working," but it could not possibly make any
    further changes to the %WINDIR% or anything else on that disk. I'm
    not an authority on the subject, but I can't see how data would be
    lost. The tray applet makes sure that any cached writes are finished
    before it allows you to "safely disconnect" the device.

    Now, don't get me wrong. I'd like to get the hard drives off the
    list, too. I'm just saying that I don't think their presence on the
    list poses a grave danger. I think that, at worst, it could lead to
    inconvenience.

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 9, 2005
  12. It also requires that no files be open on the drive. On the Windows boot
    volume this is impossible to achieve, so it will not allow you to stop
    the device. Try it and see..

    Robert Hancock, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Zeneca

    milleron Guest

    Ha-ha. I truly suspected that it wouldn't let me disconnect a system
    drive, but I did not -- and do not -- want to do the experiment. I'm
    happy to take your word on it, Robert. Thanks.

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 10, 2005