    have another machine here at the office with exact same hardware and
    it works fine. How do I convince the driver that the monitor really
    does go up to 1600x1200 ?

    Roger Dunn, Oct 25, 2004

  2. You'll need to edit the monitor's .inf file.

    Make a backup of your monitor's inf file.

    Open the inf file and replace all places that have '1280' and '1024' with
    1600 and 1200.

    Reinstall the monitor with the modified the .inf.

    NOTE: This could be dangerous to your monitor in theory but most modern
    monitors are self protecting when it comes to invalid range requests (or
    signal input). But you never know when you operate beyond specs. Be
    warned.

    I know this method worked for my Samsung 240t monitor and it goes up to
    1920x1200 via a DVI connection. Again it's technically not supported by the
    monitor (via DVI) but it works fine none the less.

    Jon Cortelyou, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Roger Dunn

    Tim Taylor Guest

    Or you could download the latest monitor.inf file for your Syncmaster
    from NEC's site and install that. That's a lot less "hit and miss" than
    editing your inf file.

    Tim Taylor, Oct 26, 2004
  4. --

    To my knowledge there is only one .inf file for my monitor. And SyncMaster
    is Samsung not NEC, BTW.

    If you could provide a link, I'd happily like to be proven wrong.

    Jon Cortelyou, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Roger Dunn

    Tim Taylor Guest

    Here's what I found
    http://www.samsung.com/Support/Prod...typecode=202&model=213T&filetype=DR&language=

    It might be the same as what you found but you might consider a fresh
    install of your video drivers and inf at the same time. Good luck :)

    Tim Taylor, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Ya. That's the old and only version for my Samsung 240t LCD monitor. The
    DVI spec doesn't official support anything beyond 1600x1200. In fact it
    might only support 1280x1024 and below.

    Jon Cortelyou, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Roger Dunn

    Roger Dunn Guest

    I found the file, and it already has 1600x1200 in it.... could it be
    the video card and not the monitor?

    Roger Dunn, Oct 26, 2004